SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - System recovery options-HELP!!

(49 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by natalia
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 123912 times

natalia
natalia

I have a problem with my Acer PC (Acer Aspire 5920G Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU @ 1.80 GHz, 2046 MB, 32-bit Operating System).

I turn on my pc and an acer screen appears, then one saying microsoft and then a blue one saying "System Recovery Options : Select keyboad layout", I choose US and then click next.

The next screen says "Select a perating system to repair and click next. Only Windows Vista operating systems are listed and can be repaired. If you do not see your operating system listed, click Load Drivers to load drivers for your hand disks." I dont see my operating system and I click on load drivers, but nothing is there.

So anyway, I click next and the next screen says "Choose Recovery Tools". The only one I can choose is Command Prompt. I click on that and a black screen appears saying X: \windows\system32 and I type chkdsk and here's what it says

The type of the file system is NTFS. Volme label is PQSERVICE.

Windows has checked the file system and found no problem. Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

So what does that mean???? Is there something I can do or something I can type in the black screen to fix whatever problem my PC has ???

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

No change from a month ago?
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=25

Posted 5 years ago

natalia
natalia

No!!!!! And Im beginning to lose my mind cause all my essays for uni and for my MBA are there! There must be something I can do..

A friend of mine gave me a cd "lastpxy20 by nrl" and he said he'd tell me what to do with it...but he heasnt bothered ever since....

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

natalia, your system is booting into the Windows Recovery Environment (RE). This can happen if the system thinks there was a failure to boot on the previous attempt. What's most troubling is that it can't find a Vista operating system to repair. I can guide you through some diagnosis, but it won't be easy. There is no good way to capture the output. You could write it down or take a picture with a digital camera if it's clear enough to see.

We'll start with a look at your hard drives and partitions. Type the commands shown below. Everything left of the ">" is part of the prompt and will already be there, so you don't type that. If you get an error message at any point, stop and report back.

X:\windows\system32> diskpart

DISKPART> list disk
DISKPART> select disk 0
DISKPART> list partition

Posted 5 years ago

natalia
natalia

Hi!!!! Thank soooo much for offering to help! Im sorry I 'disappeared' yesterday, I was at a comp at uni, but I had to leave..so Im sorry about that! It would be amazingly great if you were on your computer now...

I'm on my brother's comp and I have my pc next to me..so you could tell me what to do and I can do it immediatelly!

Thank soooo much!!

PS I dont care if it won't be easy as long as we get somewhere with that!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I check back here every so often throughout the day. I want you to run the commands I gave above (diskpart, etc.) and show me the output. This will tell us what Windows sees for disks that are available, and what partitions are on them. If you write it down, you can leave out the big long numbers in squiggly brackets {}.

Posted 5 years ago

natalia
natalia

ok! give me one min

Posted 5 years ago

natalia
natalia

X:\windows\system32> diskpart
The output is

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.0.6000
Copyright <C> 1999-2007 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: MINWINPC

DISKPART> list disk

And the output is

disk ### status size free dyn gpt
disk 0 online 186GB 0B

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is not the selected disk.

DISKPART>list partition

partion ### Type Size Offset
partion 1 OEM 10 GB 32 KB
partion 2 Primary 88 GB 10 GB
partion 3 Primary 85 GB 98 GB
partion 4 Primary 3320 MB 183 GB

PS I cant thank you enough!!

Posted 5 years ago

natalia
natalia

I made a little mistake Disk 0 is NOW the selected disk....instead of disk 0 is not!!

DISKPART> select disk 0
Disk 0 is NOW the selected disk.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

OK, if you are still at the DISKPART> prompt from above, continue as follows. If not, run the above commands first, then continue:

DISKPART> select partition 2
DISKPART> detail partition
DISKPART> exit

This will provide information about the first primary partition. Please copy the output here. The "exit" command will close Diskpart and return to the X: prompt. Previously, when you ran chkdsk, it was run on the Recovery Partition which is called PQSERVICE. Now, let's run it on C: which is hopefully the letter assigned to the first primary partition. The command is:

X:\windows\sysetm32> chkdsk /F c:

The "/F" means fix any problems that are found. I don't need to see all of the output from this command, just the following lines:

The type of the file system is ...
Volume label is ...
Windows has checked/made corrections ...

The message that says "failed to transfer logged messages" is normal in Windows RE. It simply means that there is no place to write the error log to.

Posted 5 years ago

natalia
natalia

ok give me a min to do that

Posted 5 years ago

natalia
natalia

DISKPART> select partition 2
Partition 2 is now the selected partition

DISKPART> detail partition
DISK Display the properties of the selected disk.
PARTION Display the properties of the selected partion.
VOLUME Display the properties of the selected volume.

DISKPART> exit
Leaving DiskPart

X:\windows\sysetm32> chkdsk /F c:
The type of the file system is NTFS
Volume label is ACER

stage 1 verifying files
File verification completed.
449 large files recorded.
0 bad files reoreds processed.
0 EA recoreds processed.
50 preparse records processed.

Stage 2 verifying indexes
and that's taking a while...

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

If it's fixing errors, that might be good that it's taking the time. After it's fixed, the drive may be bootable again.

It looks like the "detail partition" command didn't work. Hopefully, it won't matter.

Posted 5 years ago

natalia
natalia

139584 security descriptors processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
16759 data files processed
Usn Journal verification completed.
Correcting errors in the Master File Table <MFT> mirror.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in master file bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

92697599 KB total disk space
41397000 KB in 121136 files
62444 KB 16760 indexes
0 KB in bad sectors
243611 KB in use by the system
65536 KB occupied by the log file
50994544 KB available on disk

finally that's over!

Posted 5 years ago

natalia
natalia

oopst i forgot:

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
23174399 total allocation units on disk.
12748636 allocation units available on disk.
Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

Posted 5 years ago

natalia
natalia

Ouf...but now I really have to go .... cause it's 2.40am and I have to be up at 6!

When you tell me what to do next, I'll do it and tell you!

Goodnight mr awesome!!

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

natalia, thank you for the compliment. Next thing to do is run the same "chkdsk /F c:" command to see if it will finish with "no problems found". Sometimes one run doesn't get everything. Keep running it until it runs with no problems found, though if it still doesn't run clean after about 5 runs, stop. If it does run with no problems found, then restart the system and see if it will boot into Windows.

Posted 5 years ago

glad

my computer crashed...tells me to reload windows...can not find disc...help

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

glad, please start your own thread, this one is dedicated to the OP until resolution.

Posted 5 years ago

natalia
natalia

my dearest scott,
I dont know if we could call it a progress...but here's what happening with my pc now.

I shut it down last night, without running the check again. And I started it today and look what I got: the acer screen, then the microsoft one and then instead of the cute blue screen, a black screen saying:

windows error recovery
windows did not shut down successfully.If this was due to the system not responding or if the system was shut down to protect data, you might be able to recover by choosing one of the Safe Mode configurations fron the menu below (use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt
start windows normally

And at first I chose start windows normally, and I was kinda hoping it'd all be over and I'd see my pc again..but no...after choosing that, a black screen appeared with nothing on it, just the arrow of the mouse...I left it for a while, in case it needed time to load, but nothing....so I pressed the shut down bottom.

Then I chose the option safe mode with command prompt because I thought I'd get the black screen to type in, but no..I did get a black screen with commands on it, but they were running by themselves, I couldnt type in..And again the black screen..

Is this good or bad?? I think I'm beginning to miss the system recovery options screen...

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!