The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

System Recovery and Backup folder

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by NimbleT
  • Latest reply from supermansghost
  • Topic Viewed 1902 times

NimbleT

Couple days ago I did a system recovery with PC Angel, my comp was acting up and I hoped this would fix it. Well, it reset my comp back to factory defaults, but it also made a folder that called Backup folder. I looked in there and my music and other files are in there along with a program folder with all the programs I had before the recovery. Is there a way to bring my programs back without re downloading/installing from disc? I clicked on World of Warcraft exe in the backup/program folder and the game started like normal. But then I clicked another program and it was no longer registered to me, another program said it was missing a file and another said it was damaged or illegally modified. I would like to have some of those programs back, but I lost most of my CD keys and what not. Any help?

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

It's unlikely that you'd be able to get too many of the apps working without reinstalling them.

You see, some applications will run fine out of their own directory without installation, but most applications access shared dlls and registry settings that don't exist unless they have been installed.

For best results, you should reinstall them, otherwise you'll probably end up with bugs. You can restore your saved data like your game files from the backup data.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!