The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

System image and Application Settings?

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mindstormer
  • Latest reply from mindstormer
  • Topic Viewed 397 times

mindstormer

I created a system image after reformatting, tweaking some stuff, installing applications, and tweaking the settings. The whole process took me around 4 hours and I finally was able to create a system image using command lines, which was successful. I continued to use the system and encountered a big error, so I decided to refresh Windows 8 using the system image. Once that finished, I realized that most of the custom settings that I applied to the applications installed were gone and were reverted back to the default settings. I thought a system image is an exact replica of the C drive--why did this happen?

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten

I think you might want to detail the EXACT steps you took and what you used?

For instance, what did you use to take the System Image? A back-up program, like Ghost or Macrium Reflect?

This is the part that makes me think you didn't do what you thought you were, "so I decided to refresh Windows 8 using the system image.". REFRESH is a function in W8 whereas you basically go back to a 'fresh' install (http://www.ghacks.net/2012/01/.....ows-8-pcs/). However, there IS a process where you can make the image used be the one you want and have to create (http://www.eightforums.com/tut.....image.html).

So, what have you used?

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

mindstormer

Sorry for not making it clear. I used

"recimg /createimage D:\CustomRefreshImages\Image1"

on the Command Prompt to create the image and then refreshed the computer (which would use this newly created image because the command above also sets that image as the image Windows will use to restore, replacing their default one.

I also noticed that some system settings that were tweaked for the image were not tweaked when I restored the image.

On an unrelated note, I keep getting the "explorer.exe System Warning - Unknown Hard Error" every time I login to my account.

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99

Is there a big difference between the real size and your image size?

Posted 1 year ago

mindstormer

Yes, the custom image was just over 4 GB. I was surprised too.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I suggest you use free Macrium for imaging if you want a decent and reliable imaging program.

Concerning your second problem I would run a SFC /SCANNOW in cmd - and if that does not help, a Repair/Install

Posted 1 year ago

mindstormer

I will try that, thanks.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.