SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

System Clock display won't change in 64-bit?

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by EPPack
  • Latest reply from ronniesonora
  • Topic Viewed 576 times

EPPack

I'm having a problem with my new laptop, a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit machine, where I cannot change the display of the clock in the system tray. I know how to change the displayed format of the clock, and my taskbar is not locked, but it simply won't switch to a new display. I used TCLOCKEX for years on my old XP (and my current work 32-bit windows 7), but it simply doesn't work on my 64 bit machine (although it does in the XP emulator). As this is my first ever 64 bit machine, I know lots of older apps may not work, so does anyone have an alternative they can suggest? Better, an explanation of why the stock system clock is NOT working? But regardless, 64 bit or not, it should be changeable in the default app, right?

TIA

elaine
Ivy, VA

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

If memory serves, we had another person with a similar issue here not long ago.

As I recall, the problem was caused by the fact that the user did not have the "Time Zone" properly configured to their geographical location.

Try this:

Click on the clock in your system tray and then, at the bottom, select "Change date and time settings..."

The window should open to the "Date and Time" tab - but if for some reason it doesn't, then select that tab.

In the lower portion of that window you will see an option in a gray bar to "Change Time zone"

Select that and another small window will pop up which will display the current time-zone setting,

Make sure that the setting specifically matches the zone in which you live. If it doesn't, then use the pull-down menu on that bar to select your exact time zone.

Click okay until all the windows have closed -- then try re-setting your clock.

Hope this helps - and please let us know how you make out.

Posted 1 year ago

Sarris
Sarris

I had problems with the original tclock on Win 7 x64, and went with the Stoic Joker x64 fork.

Here: Tclock x64

This one works great.

Posted 1 year ago

EPPack

I'll check that out, Straspey, and yes, there was such a thread in 2010 that I'd found via Google, but it said to go to the forum for more results and I couldn't find it here, unfortunately.

And Sarris, yes! I just happened to see that one earlier today too, and I'd rather have TClock anyway :) Will definitely check it out.

Thanks to both of you, I'll report back my results.

elaine

Posted 1 year ago

EPPack

Just checked it, and nope, the timezone was set correctly, although I did "re-set" it to the same one, and tried it again. Nada. No change at all.

elaine

Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

Elaine, in windows 7 64 bit you can't change the clock display. You can add additional clocks to the display (clock 1 & clock 2) by going to control panel- date and time-and click on additional clocks tab.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!