The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

system administartor

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by revan024
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1952 times

revan024

I am no longer the system administartor on my personel lap top computer i don't know why or how it happened it just started so i was wondering if any one can help me with this problem. Also i can no longer access my contorl panel so i can't start a new user account. Even when i start it up in safe mode and go to the system administartor account i am still not the system administartor. So i am really in need of help please.
Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

A very strange combination of problems. For starters, I suggest 2 actions:
1. Scan the system with your security suite (Norton, McAfee) or whatever you have. It may be some sort of malware
2. Clean your REGISTRY with CCleaner. You can Google this and download it for free.
Then let us know whether there is progress. If not, we'll try something else.

Posted 6 years ago

revan024

It didn't work i am still not able to do anything I have been doing norton scans for a while now and the ccleaner deleted stuff but i am still locked out but thanks for the suggestion.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Hmm, Not obvious. I assume you still cannot get to the control panel either. Try to get to it via the C: disk. Do the following: Open > Computer > double click C: > put "control panel" without quotes into the search field (top right) > find the Control panel shortcut > double click on that. See whether you can at least get to your control panel.
I also assume you have rebooted (restarted) your system at least once since the incident started. If not - do so.
And then, VERY IMPORTANT, Please run a Rootkit finder. Those rootkits are nasty and use security privileges when infiltrating. You can find some here:

http://www.rootkitfinder.com/

Don't hesitate to come back in case none of this works and provide as much info as possible - in case there is new news.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Revan, also look at this thread where I asked someone else to look at your problem. WHS

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=5

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Could there be a hidden administrator account? I find it hard to believe that there is no administrator access whatsoever.

Edit: Very weird that I just said that, because Geek just posted this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

I know it's for vista, but a lot of commands carried over from xp to vista. It's worth a shot.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Ya, I saw this this morning. But I am not sure whether it applies. In Revan's case it seemed to have come out of the blue - typical for some intruder.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!