How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Syncing Live Contacts and Calendar with Windows Contacts and Calendar

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by chustar
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 10660 times

chustar
chustar

The dichotomy hasn't bothered me in a while, but recently I tried to sync my calendar and contacts with windows live, but there wasn't any easy option! I like Windows Live, but this is starting to annoy me. I have to manually retype every single change I make in Live Mail. What I really need is just an easy way to sync the windows contacts and Windows Live Contacts together and then windows calendar and Windows Live calendar together (I know, they've always had a problem with names)
Thanks
Alternatively, Is there a way to sync my Windows Live Contacts with the Nokia PC Suite?
Thanks, again.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Windows Calendar and Windows Live Calendar:
You can export your calendar in Windows Calendar and import your calender into Windows Live Calender. You can also do the reserve. Note that only works one way. You would have to edit in one and then export it to the other where it will lose any changes since the last export.
If you only make changes to Windows Live Calendar you can publish the calendar to get a read only copy in Windows Calendar.
The only sync for Windows Live Hotmail is the connector for Outlook. Not a good option as you would need to switch to Outlook and pay for premium services on Windows Live Calendar to do it.

Windows Contacts and Windows Live Contacts:
The only way I know of is to use the Windows Live Mail desktop email client.
It will sync the Windows Live Contacts to a subfolder named to the Windows Live ID of the Windows Contacts folder.

Overall I think when it comes to sharing data between Windows Vista programs and Windows Live services Microsoft dropped the ball.

Posted 6 years ago

chustar
chustar

Could you please explain about the windows live contacts thing? I don't understand you're explanation. And by the way, what were they thinking calling one "Windows Mail" and the other "Windows Live Mail"?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. Here is an example:
Assuming your user name is John Doe and your Windows Live ID is "johndoe@live.com" then your normal contacts folder is at C:\Users\John Doe\Contacts and the folder Windows Live Contacts are synced to is C:\Users\John Doe\Contacts\johndoe@live.com

That "johndoe@live.com" subfolder of contacts will exist as a local copy of Contacts when you use Windows Live Mail or Windows Live Messenger.
You do need to disable contact encryption first though or the folder will be hidden and full of useless files.

I'm not sure what they were thinking on the name. It would appear the Windows Live branding is done to use the Windows name brand for marketing the online services.
It seems a lot of Microsoft products have names or features just for branding or marketing that don't make much since otherwise.

Posted 6 years ago

chustar
chustar

Thanks. One more thing, how do I disable the encryption?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I use this program for synchronizing all kinds of files. Works real well and is easy. http://allwaysync.com/

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

For Windows Live Messenger you follow the instructions at http://windowsvistablog.com/bl.....tacts.aspx
For Windows Live Mail I'm not sure, I looked and couldn't find a way. I can only assume I was mistaken and only Windows Live Messenger Encrypts the contacts list.

Edit: I just looked some more and saw I did get the two confused.
Windows Live Messenger will sync to a subfolder of Contacts.
Windows Live Mail will not. You can access all your Windows Live Contacts with it and they are stored only in Windows Live Mail not Windows Contacts.
Sorry about the mistake.
It seemed like the folder was created when using Windows Live Mail but I guess not as when I close Messenger the sub folder doesn't get changed at all.

Edit 2: I just looked and it appears the Contacts are synced to C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Contacts\[WindowsLiveID] in a format that probably can only be used by Windows Live Mail. I don't understand why Microsoft did it that way instead of syncing to the normal contacts folder in a way that can be used outside of Windows Live Mail.

Note: In case anyone sees this thread and is confused on the product names and functions, here is a list:

Windows Mail - Microsoft email client included in Windows Vista. Updated version of Outlook Express that was in previous versions of Windows.
Windows Contacts - Microsoft contact storage program included in Windows Vista. Updated version of Windows Address Book that was in previous versions of Windows.
Windows Calender - Microsoft Calender program included in Windows Vista. Program is new to Windows Vista.
Windows Live ID - A login that is valid for all Microsoft web sites. The name is an email address normally "custom@live.com" or "custom@hotmail.com" though any email address can be used. There are two types of accounts. One is an account that can be used to receive email. The other can only be used for Messenger and other services. You cannot convert between one account type to the other. This service used to be called Passport.
Windows Live Messenger - Microsoft Instant Messenger client. Used to be called MSN Messenger.
Windows Live Hotmail - Microsoft free email service. Used to be called MSN Hotmail or just Hotmail.
Windows Live Contacts - Microsoft free online contact storage service. Used by Windows Live Messenger for the buddy list and Windows Live Hotmail for an address book.
Windows Live Mail - Microsoft email client that is an enhanced version of Windows Mail for accessing Windows Live Hotmail and Windows Live Contacts. This email client was named Windows Live Mail desktop before. One thing sure to cause confusion is Windows Live Hotmail was named Windows Live Mail at one point too.
Windows Live Calendar - Microsoft online free calendar service.
Microsoft Office Outlook - Microsoft client for email, contacts, calendar and a couple other functions.
The client itself costs around $90 (Price from Newegg page) though it can be gotten as part of an Office bundle.
Outlook Connector exists to use Windows Live Hotmail, Contacts and Calendar with this program. The Calendar access requires a Premium subscription to something. According to the Connector Info page it's MSN Premium. If true then the cost is $9.95 per month to use it.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!