Hey everyone,

I run vmware workstation 6.5. Host O/S is Windows XP Pro SP3. Guest O/S is Windows XP Pro SP3. I run this on my desktop. However, sometimes i prefer to use my laptop so that i can work away from my desk. I copied the virtual machine to my laptop and i am able to use it. Here is the problem. If i create a word doc on the VM while on the desktop, it will obviously not be there when i run the VM on the laptop. How can i sync the VMs so that they are both always updated with the latest files i create etc etc.? I have tried using MS Synctoy 2.0 to sync the files between the desktop and the laptop. However, even though it says it was successful it is not truly sync'd. My other option is to just copy the files from one machine to the other, but that takes forever with a 20GB VM. Is there an easier way to do this? Thanks everyone.

Also, I run the virtual machine on my desktop on a seperate HDD from my host OS, is this the best way to do it?

I asked this question on the VMware forum, but no luck yet. Honestly i don't find their forum very helpful. I tend to find that the how to geek forum answers most of my questions. This is my one stop shop for all my educational needs, lol.

Posted 6 years ago