SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Synaptics left mouse button and touchpad click not working.

(2 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Samaritan
  • Latest reply from Seasider2
  • Topic Viewed 3548 times

Samaritan

Synaptics touchpad started playing up one night. When I moved the cursor it would automatically click and drag, and the left mouse button stopped working. After reboot, touchpad click had also stopped working (with the click and drag problem only occurring on startup) but I could still move the cursor and right click.

Tried the following methods to no avail: Change (via mouse properties) primary button function from left to right then back again; Clean boot; Roll back/reinstall drivers; System restore; Spray compressed air under buttons to remove dust etc.

When I disable the buttons in device settings, touchpad click works fine. When I re-enable them, left button and touchpad click stop working. Currently have buttons disabled to allow use of touchpad click/cursor. I'm running Vista and haven't tested an external mouse.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider2
Seasider2

Had some problems recently myself so I tried the Synaptics Scrybe driver and it works fine.
Obviously do a restore point first, just in case.
Though it did not work for my Toshiba the other solution is try your laptop manufacturer's website for a driver update.

Link for Synaptics. http://www.synaptics.com/

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.