The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Symbolic Link Removal in Win7?

(3 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by SkOrPn
  • Latest reply from silhouttejames
  • Topic Viewed 318 times

SkOrPn

A couple months ago I tried the free RAM Disk from AMD and created a simple 4GB disk to use with Chromes cash and my ever expanding Google Earth data. However, a few weeks ago the RAM disk crashed and would not appear again. After days of trying to figure out how to fix IT I just decided I did not like it in the first place and uninstalled the RAM disk. This gave me back my beloved shutdown and startup speed.

However, although it seems like Google Earth is not upset in any way, my Google Chrome browser now requires me to login to everything and has to refresh all data every time I restart the computer. I have tried to figure out how to "Undo" the symbolic link to the cache folder with no luck. One good thing is if I insert one of my flash drive, ANY drive for that matter a new cache folder appears before my eyes and starts growing, so if I need the folder to be in place in order to Undo what I did I can easily.

So, How-To undo a symbolic link to a "cache" folder that does or does not exist? That is the question... I apologize before hand if this is easy or was already answered. I tried searching but every solution I have found has not worked at all. I am not even sure what method I used to create the link in the first place, which maybe the reason I am here... lol

Regards,
SkOrPn

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

The JUNCTION command should do it IF you know the symlink name :

=================
c:\>junction

Junction v1.05 - Windows junction creator and reparse point viewer
Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Mark Russinovich
Systems Internals - http://www.sysinternals.com

The first usage is for displaying reparse point information, and the
second usage is for creating or deleting a NTFS junction point:

usage: junction [-s] [-q] <file or directory>
-q Don't print error messages (quiet)

-s Recurse subdirectories

usage: junction [-d] <junction directory> [<junction target>]
-d Delete the specified junction
example: junction d:\link c:\winnt
==================

Findlinks should show you them.

Both available HERE.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

silhouttejames

Google Chrome has no user settings for cache location or size. Many people have been asking for this feature since version 1.0, but Google has not seen fit to provide it. I guess they still consider Chrome a beta at version 3.something.

http://essayweb.net/miscellany/chrome.shtml

People have figured out some hacks to do this. You still cannot set cache size, but you can set cache location. First, a caveat. Chrome stores the whole profile in the same place as the cache. So if you're moving the cache, be aware that you are also moving bookmarks, cookies, etc. Don't throw this stuff into some place too disposable.

HOPE THIS HELPS:)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.