The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Switching email adresses.

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by shackleford96
  • Latest reply from shackleford96
  • Topic Viewed 398 times

shackleford96

Alright, I know this is probably easier than I'm making it. I would like some suggestions on how to go about making the transfer to a new email address.

I've had my current email address for a long time, and I'm getting really sick of it because it's WAY too long. It takes forever to tell people what it is and typing/writing it out is a pain as well. Because I've had it for so long, it's also become my main email address that I use for everything. I want to start using a new email address, but i don't want to miss anything important I might still receive at my current one as well. Is there an easy way to have all of the emails on my old address automatically forwarded to my new one or something? Thanks in advance.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

No reason you can not keep both email accounts active. If they have pop3 capability they can be read and maintained with the same email program no need to forward.

Posted 1 year ago

shackleford96

Alright, awesome. I'm sure they probably do have pop3 capability. How do I go about setting that up?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You will have to install an email program such as Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail which is prat of Windows Live Essentials. If you choose Windows Live Mail choose only those "essentials" that you want. You can choose only Mail.

Then you will have to find out from your email domain, the part after the @ sign, how to install pop3 on your mail program. If you have a problem tell us the email program you chose and the domains of your email accounts and we can give more specific instructions.

Posted 1 year ago

shackleford96

Thanks for the reply.

Yahoo mail is what I'm using right now. Does it have to be an email program that you download to your computer, or can it be one that you just use online like I am right now?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.