How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Super Wormhole

(9 posts)
  • Started 7 years ago by InDiSent
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 1894 times

InDiSent

Hello everyone,

I have what i believe to be a great idea. It's not an original one and it's basically a free and upgraded version of a program i use. There is a program called "wormhole" ...can be found at www.crystalfiresw.com...for you to get an idea of what i'm talking about. It's basically an ftp type app. Here's the jist of it:

Person A installs the Super Wormhole and leaves it running in the background.
Person B does the same thing.....you can have as many persons as you want.
Person A decides hey, i need that file that Person B wants me to see.
Person A scrolls their list of peers that they are setup to connect to and finds Person B. Perosn A then clicks connect. If person B requires it, then Person A will have to put in a username and password.
Once Person A is connected to the wormhole they can see a list of files and folders that Person B is sharing with them.
Person A then drags the file, files or even entire folder into their wormhole and the download begins.

Now i know this sounds just like and FTP app. But the speeds that i transfer through the wormhole is lightning fast compared to using an ftp. Plus i'd like it to be more secure and user friendly for the non-techy family members that i have and would like to share family photos and so forth with. The wormhole transfer speed is faster than my LAN transfer speed on my home network. If this has already been done and someone knows of an app that does this then i do apologize....and please enlighten me. Thanks for reading this. Please let me know what you think.

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

It does sound like an ftp application... although there's not really any way to make something run faster than your LAN, it just might seem that way.

What you might want to take a look at is http://pownce.com/ which is trying to be exactly that, for regular files and such.

Posted 7 years ago

taybay

Also, you could try WASTE( http://waste.sourceforge.net/ ). It basically sets up an encrypted p2p network between only people who you exchange keys with. There's also a chat client built into it. I've used it, it works, and it's super secure.

Posted 7 years ago

InDiSent

I checked out the Pownce thing and it seemed cool. The only thing is you have to pay for the PRO version to send larger files. I will check out Waste when i get home. Sourceforge is blocked here at work. Thanks guys.

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I think I found exactly what you are looking for...

http://www.tubesnow.com/

Posted 7 years ago

Barron

Ha! I read that as "Tube Snow" and had no idea what I was in for when I clicked...

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I guess I should have put some more explanation on it =)

It's a site with an app for trading files and music, or something like that.

Posted 7 years ago

Barron

Didn't mean for that to sound like an admonishment - given the context I had a good idea of what the site would be. I just couldn't figure out what "tube snow" would have to do with file transfers and was curious to see how in the world they related them.

Posted 7 years ago

The Geek

I didn't take it that way =)

Looking at it now, I can see what you mean... I wouldn't know what to expect if somebody sent that to me.

Posted 7 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.