The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

suggestions on building a computer from newegg

(55 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jayh619
  • Latest reply from jayh619
  • Topic Viewed 4179 times

Budohorseman

Two things with OCing, you need very good cooling solutions and a good power supply. For cooling you will need an aftermarket heatsink and fan for your cpu (not the ones that come with it) along with some thermal paste (like Arctic Silver). A good power supply is one thing a lot of newbie OCers do not think about. Read the reviews on power supplies in the wattage you are looking for and pick one that delivers stable power across all the rails. Check out this list of cooling solutions and power supply reviews. http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

water cooling would be a good idea but i heard that they aren't the most stable cooling devices.

Posted 6 years ago

jayh619

You don't have to refill the water for water cooling right? cuz thats wat my friend said

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

no its not even real water it's some other liquid not sure what but i know for sure it's not water though.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Water cooling is sooo last millenium. Oil is the way to go these days. No pumps, no fans, no noise, no risk of a short circuit.
http://www.tomshardware.com/re.....,1203.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ8L1Prl6tk

Now you're cooking with oil! :-P

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

scott that is sweet but i don't really want to try it. ;)

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

If you're gonna do that, you may as well go with a TEC cooling system, and throw in a dehumidifier!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.....ic_cooling

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Budo, great article. The first reference is the one I posted above and the second is to oilcooledcomputer.com. The Peltier effect is very interesting, but I have yet to see a PC cooled by pelts. Also, from what little I understand, the heat from a pelt must be drawn off somehow either with air or liquid cooling. The beauty of the oil cooling solution is it's cheap and free of noisy fans or pumps. The downside would be having to drain all that oil to change parts and the slippery, sticky mess it must leave behind. Yuck!

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman

Scott, I remember reading that article when it first came out, I always wondered if after the system was running for 30 min or so if you could cook yourself some fries (chips for those of you across the pond) in it.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

frites

Posted 6 years ago

jayh619

I think u could but I'd think that the fries would be mixed with other chemicals from the computer.. I THINK lol well I dunno anywho... now I'm EXTREMELY interested with this.. I've been reading TONS of forums for this.... and I can't figure what the life expectency for a computer thats been submerged would last for... Do u think that it might decrese the computer's life span? or.. increase it?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

I watched the video (from a link above) and I noticed the oil was not moving.
Is it just my bad eyesight?

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ya it doesn't seem to have that great of flow in it so you would need to have something to get it moving around. maybe a fan of some sort. i don't know.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

First, I don't think the oil is hot enough for frying. On page 11 at tomshardware.com it says they were at 40°C (104°F) and that's just not hot enough for deep fat frying.

As for the oil moving, it doesn't need to. The oil is a poor electrical conductor, but an excellent heat conductor. The heat from the hottest components will raise the temperature of all the oil, eventually. Still, adding a pump to make the oil circulate would probably help draw the heat away from the hottest components faster.

Finally, on the life expectancy of such a system I have no idea. The hot oil might start corrosion or dissolving some parts of the system. Or, maybe it would remain chemically inert and increase the life of the submerged components. Someone would have to run on oil cooling for several months then drain it and check the board for chemical reactions. Only time will tell.

Posted 6 years ago

jayh619

well... do u no anyone with a old 40 dollar computer? lol I want to have some one test it out I cant find anyone whose experiments it like that in any forums but maybe it's cuz I'm googling the forums wrong...

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.