How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

suggestions on building a computer from newegg

(55 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jayh619
  • Latest reply from jayh619
  • Topic Viewed 4179 times

jonhill987
jonhill987

Most people I know have said that SLI is a waste of time and money because very few game support it properly, you are better off saving the money you would spend on the second card and replacing the first card with it at a later date.

As for AMD Vs Intel. Yes, the chip you have chosen runs at 3.2GHz but clock for clock the Intel chips are better, the price difference is worth it (look up some benchmarks if you don't believe me). Most people building gaming PC's at the moment seem to be getting an Intel Q6600 (Make sure it is the G0 stepping when you buy it, it will run much cooler) and a 512MB NVidia 8800GT.

Posted 5 years ago

jayh619

well could you both look it up and show me the Item Numbers of the processors you think is the best that's under $200? and same thing with the Video card? please? =) I'm sorry if I'm annoying you both. I was originally planning on buying the $650 visionman computer from the internet but then my friends told me that I'm MUCH better off building my own with the their help but they don't want to help me look for the parts so.. could you both give item numbers and I'll edit my wish list accordingly? I think I can spend about 800 to 1000 on this. and I already have a monitor, keyboard and etc. so ya.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

video cards:

here is a nice one: N82E16814134040

and this one seems to be a beast for the money: N82E16814130082

procs:

this one seems to be good: N82E16819115037

here is a link to the search page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....0+-+%24200

and also we don't get annoyed by you asking too many questions that is why we are here to help people like you.

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I'm planning on buying a new computer as well... figure I'll build one from newegg too.

I think this processor is the best for the money at the moment:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6819115017

Have to make sure that the motherboard supports the quad cores, of course.

And you aren't annoying us, it's great to have these threads that go back and forth... much better than the people that never reply!

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

One thing to keep in mind is that if you think you may one day opt for a dual graphic card set-up, keep in mind that the chipsets have to match the graphic card. SLI is for nVidia cards and CrossFire is for ATI cards--they are not interchangeable. Of course if you stick with the motherboard you have listed in your initial post this is a non-issue as it only have one 16x ePCI slot.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i would agree with the geek on the proc. that it is really nice for the price. quad core it up!!

Posted 5 years ago

jayh619

Thank you =D and... could some one explain what Cross Fire is...? lol I NOW know what Overcloaking means, and I'm going to be too afraid to ever use it, and I KINDA no what SLI means.... so... what does crossfire do?

Posted 5 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

CrossFire is ATI's method for using dual video cards together, similar to SLI for nvidia cards. I wouldn't recommend using either one... the 512MB NVidia 8800GT is probably all you'd need in a video card.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

@the geek why don't you recommend using sli or crossfire?

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

based on his initial system specs, he would not get much of a boost. for the most part, unless your chipset supports 2 cards at 16x and your system is majorly pimped, you will not get a major advantage.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ok i see now. seriously pimped thats kinda funny

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

lol, you need to have a system that can handle some major overclocking to get better than about a 30 fps boost with most configurations, not that I overclock or anything......

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i wish i could but mine already runs hot as it is now you can read all about it here: http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=24

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Hehe, I built my system for overclocking, I've got a Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 with a Scythe 120mm fan on it with an E8500 processor (Wolfdale core 45nm) so I can push this <Edit> system </edit>!

EDIT: I did lap my heatsink. Almost never cracks 50 C (and I do run Boinic with 3 protocols).

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

once i get a bit more money i'm going to try and upgrade my pc more so i can do more with it.

edit: or majorly pimped out as you put it :)

mine runs idle at about 50 c

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

I love to oc systems, if ya ever want help, just email me @ gmail!!!

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

ya i know how but i just can't with what i have at the moment. had to help out my friend though he has a sweet pc. i wish i had his.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

I hear ya, built mine back in February, it's a pretty sweet rig! (IMHO)

Posted 5 years ago

jayh619

So... I shouldn't attempt to TRY OC'ing this once I build it? and could u just reply how to OC cuz I'm HUGE noob and it sounds like OC'ing would make the performance a LOT better

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

before you even want to think about oc'ing you will want to make sure that you have very good cooling. because what it will run at now at full load will be the idle if you don't cool it right.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!