The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Suggestions for Win8 burning software

(9 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Fhirkin9
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 478 times

Fhirkin9

I have been using a 2010 version of a burning software that seemed to work well, until now, all I am doing is wasting money on disks as the errors pile up. I thought I would see what other users of Win8 would recommend. I have win8 Pro, 64-bit on a desktop PC. Unfortunately, I have an old PATA writer installed via ribbon on my mobo, but that did not seem to be a factor, I was able to burn data, music, backups, etc. No links needed, just give me the names of software for me to research! Thank you!

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

I use ImgBurn. It's open source (free and crap-free).

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere

"...an old PATA writer..."
It's possible that you're erroring out due to the laser having reached the end of its lifespan.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

I 2nd that,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....h-imgburn/

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

check the connection of the ribbon on the optical drive and mobo as well. I had that happen one time and that was the problem. One of the connectors was not seated properly. Sounds like a hardware problem.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

I reseated it, even though it seemed OK. But 50% of the time I will fail writing a full DVD of data, other times it works like a charm.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

Really think it is hardware related. You could try installing another burning program or uninstalling and reinstalling the one you have now. Then see what happens. If that doesn't fix it you may have to consider that your optical drive is bad.

Posted 1 year ago

Zagreus

You could have come across a bad batch of disks.

Daveh.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Another way to look at this is to clean the laser head, this can be done by camera brush, isopropyl alcohol or a good blast with air dependent on your access to the drive.
With any burning but especially with DVD the laser path must be clear.
Another thing to note is that burning speed is very important, the lesser is the better for .iso, apps and music / videos.

And the best option for this is -r DVD, less coasters in the end.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.