The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Suggestion: A few buttons perhaps?.

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by GaardCeteru
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 2081 times

GaardCeteru

I have noticed that we have a link and image buttons in order to make easier the posting of stuff, but I would like to be able to scratch, underline words and all that little text processing without much problem; you know... make markup easyer for everyone with a few more little pretty buttons of course no need to overload the interface with buttons and buttons, put perhaps two or three; those moste used: bold, italic, scratch and underline... could that be possible?

Posted 5 years ago

nike1

What you are asking for is already available, i think. Unfortunately there is no buttons for it, you have to add some code by yourself. It's not that hard though. It says that BBcode is allowed, if it really works, this text should be bold and underlined.

Check this site out if you want some info about BBcode:
http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/

Posted 5 years ago

LH

GaardCeteru. This is not really encouraged on the main forums. People tend to abuse it.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

I disagree with underlining because this is used for links. But bold and/or italic would be nice. And LH, I fail to see how that can be abused.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

I will concede to italic. There is no instance where bold would be needed, as far as I can see.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Either one is fine although bold would stand out better. Just to distinguish e.g. a command from the general posting text. I hate the quote business and then you have to say (without quotes).

Posted 5 years ago

The Geek

Yeah, we don't have the buttons because we'll end up with awful, unreadable forums. Every single "regular" user post would end up with giant fonts, rainbow colors, and similar awfulness. Better to avoid that. In fact, we've disabled most of the tags on the HTML side of things.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Of course, feel free to do what you want in Off Topic. (As long as it is within the rules of the forum :)
You can use bold and italics, and Spartans, if you so wish :)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.