The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Sudo Command with Launchy

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Deadman36g
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 4447 times

Deadman36g

I seen a comment awhile back on Lifehacker by the Geek that said he had successfully configured Lauchy to use the sudo command (with Start++ installed). Could you please explain how so?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Is this the one you are looking for: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/

Posted 6 years ago

Deadman36g

Thank you for the reply but I believe the Geek said there was a way so that you could set up the sudo command in Launchy, that is what I am needing to do.

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

You know, that sudo command isn't working right for me anymore... I did upgrade launchy and that might have something to do with it.

Let me do a little research and get back with you on this, alright? I'm sure there's a simple method, and this would make a great article.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

Interesting. I had not read about that Launchy program before. I just downloaded it and it seems like it might be useful.
I also tested using it with the sudo.cmd file Start++ has and couldn't get it to work.
I did find a way to get an elevate command with a different program that did work for me.
Download elevate from http://jpassing.wordpress.com/.....mand-line/ and put it somewhere.
Now to configure Launchy to use it:
1. Click the little gear icon to open the options dialog.
2. Click the plugins tab.
3. Click "Runner" on the left.
4. Click the + button and enter the following for each field:
Name - sudo or whatever to want as a shortcut
Program - Full path to elevate.exe
Arguments - $$
Now when type su, hit tab, type a command and press enter it's launched elevated.

Posted 6 years ago

Deadman36g

Thanks for the post jd2066, that seems to work well.

By any chance (I doubt there is, but) is there a way so that whenever I run something via this method that the cmd screen dosen't popup each time?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

I think if you used a different program then the elevate.exe from that page that worked differently then a cmd screen wouldn't appear.
I will look later when I have time and see if I can find one.

Posted 6 years ago

Deadman36g

Cool, I appreciate the help jd2066

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

I just looked and found out launchy is also making a cmd screen so even with a program that doesn't show one, one will still appear. I don't know how to fix that as it seems to be a bug with launchy.
I also found a way to use the Start++ sudo.cmd file with launchy though it doesn't really matter as it does exactly the same thing as the elevate.exe program.
Just use these values for the runner fields:
Program: cmd
Arguments: /C "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Start++\CMDs\sudo.cmd" $$

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

That's how I had done it before... I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it windowless.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.