(Solved) - Suddenly Turned off With a Black Screen

(40 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by JamesTKirk
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 1916 times

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hello fellow computer junkies,

I was running a program. It appeared as if there was an error and a "bug menu" appeared. There was a dialog box of details, which I didn't read. The options were the boxes of "ok", "cancel", "debug", and one other option. I clicked "debug". It looked like it didn't do anything or resolved really quickly so I clicked it again. I clicked it one more time. And suddenly the computer shut off within 1 second, not a long shut down where all programs shut down slowly and windows logs off.

Now the computer won't turn on at all when I press the power button. It has never done this before. I waited several minutes and pressed the power button again. The computer won't turn on, nor is there "any" lights that are on on the computer -- even when the power cord is plugged into it...

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

no replies

Posted 2 years ago

Straspey
Straspey

There are a few "duh" troubleshooting steps you can take in a case like this - if you have not already done so.

From the way you describe the problem, it sounds as if either your power supply has failed - which is not a big deal because you can always swap it out for a new one.

Or -

One of the wires/connections to the power supply has become loose somehow - which can occasionally happen over time, and perhaps the inside of your computer has become clogged with dirt and dust, which can accumulate over time and clog up an important connection.

Or -

The worst case scenario -- Your computer has fried itself and bit the dust.

I would suggest you ask raphoenix - who is one of the regulars and an expert when it comes to hardware issues. Perhaps he can guide you.

And -

In any event, regardless of what the issue is, you will be asked if you have made a full backup of your data, because you may need it to effect a recovery.

Hope this is of some help, and good luck.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Straspey,
Thanks for the reply. I too, also suspected that dust may have been an issue.
Here's what you said:
"raphoenix...is one of the regulars"
So does this mean he is here on How to Geek? How do I talk to him, do I private message him? I am relatively new to this site (I only have 24 posts), so I don't really know how to navigate it.

But as far as the computer, here's what I did since I last talked to you:

--I took out the rechargeable battery
--I unplugged the power cord
--I pressed the power button for 10 seconds and then waited for 30 seconds
--I put the rechargeable battery back in

After doing this, I was able to start the computer!!! At this point, I thought that the problem was solved...
But then, my computer started acting differently, unlike how it had ran before. I know, I know, at least it runs right? Yea, but the cybertech in me wants to find out why this is happening -- and besides, how my computer is acting, is frankly annoying. So this is what my computer does now after this "Black Out":
The computer is able to boot into the OS like normal. But it takes turning it off and turning it back on 3-5 times to get the OS to fully load up. It seems to get stuck on the blue "welcome" screen in the Windows OS in the start up, and remains there for a long time and doesn't appear to be making any progress like how it normally does when its going to load up. But I can "tell" that the OS is going to load up because I am missing my CMOS battery, and if I wasn't, I wouldn't be able to "tell" whether or not that it was going to load up this time. What is does, how I can "tell", is because I get the error message of your date and time is not correct box that pops up.

Straspey, do you know what is wrong with the computer or why it is doing that?

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

Can you give us the laptop model? Maybe you need to replace the cmos battery.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hello G41M,
Thanks for the reply. How's ya?

Manufacturer: Compaq Evo
Notebook Model: N610c
Processor Type: Mobile Intel Pentium 4-M CPU 2

I just found out that I am missing the CMOS battery. So to emulate resetting the CMOS, I took out the rechargeable battery, unplugged the power cord, pressed the power button for 10 seconds, waited for one minute, and then replaced the rechargeable battery. This, in effect, was equivolent to resetting the CMOS.

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

"I took out the rechargeable battery
unplugged the power cord"
= and you get incorrect date and time. You need to replace cmos battery. This powers the cmos so that the laptop maintains the date and time, bios configurations even when there no power coming either from the rechargeable battery or the adapter. Your laptop manual says it is located under the memory expansion slot compartment cover. After replacing the battery, enter bios and change the date and time. This is one possible cause of the problem you are encountering now.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hello G41M,

The CMOS stores the Bios information. Without the CMOS, OR, by replacing and putting it back, which is one of the computer dianostic steps in some instances, resets the Bios to the default setting. The "purpose" of the CMOS is to save any NEW changes that you make to the Bios. It doesn't do anything else. A missing CMOS battery will not have an effect on installing an OS.

But the CMOS can make you miss appointments and errands that you have to do because you don't know what time it is, or, even what day that it is!

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Using warp drive while passing a clasS M planet may cause a problem. Most probable would be a time warp which can be fixed with a $3.00 cmos BATTERY.

lIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Having the wrong date on the computer can affect many things.

Posted 2 years ago

PreetamD
PreetamD

@JamesTKirk

Do you have any antivirus software in your PC ?? This problem could also be caused due to some stupid malware... You could do a full system scan using AVAST and MALWAREBYTES... No harm in that. You could try that out... Also, the date and time could be "THE" issue.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hi G41M,
Sometimes things work in mysterious ways, including computers. You might be right.
I didn't mean to appear negative. I intended the last statement as a joke, and by no means was it supposed to be interpreted as sarcasm instead.

Hello warlock,
It doesn't hurt to try. I have engaged the warp drive to hyperspeed, faster than warp 9 speed, but the reactor core seems to be overloading. There is a problem with the core. This is the Captain to the bridge, disengage the warp drive. Put all systems to auxilary power. Kirk out.

Stardate 3120, we have neared a M class planet, and our core has suddenly malfuncioned. All systems have been taken offline at this time.

Spock, you there?

Hey Lighthouse,

"Having the wrong date on the computer can affect many things."

It's possible, but only the Bios, date & time, and security programs as far as I know

Howdy PreetamD,
Yes, that is a good idea, think I'll run it through with a security program. Couldn't hurt.
And yes, you never know, it could be the issue, though I doubt it.

EVERYONE,
Here is the situation:
--The computer has been missing its CMOS for a long time
--The computer has NEVER had these kind of problems until just RECENTLY
--I have never seen a computer be "unable" to run an OS without a CMOS
--I have never seen a computer be "unable" to boot without a CMOS

*chew on this for a minute and see if it gives you any ideas

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

Posted 2 years ago

G41M

Captain Kirk, Diagnosing computer problems, be it hardware or software sometimes gets complicated when two or several issues compliment each other. Incorrect date and time might not be the main cause but would help a lot in diagnosing the problem if it is corrected. If you do not have the time to replace the RTC battery, power on your laptop, go to bios setup and enter the correct date and time, save the settings and restart and tell us what happens.

Posted 2 years ago

PreetamD
PreetamD

Last post 3 days ago !! Why no feedback till now ??

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Welcome Back G41M,
I would enter the date and time in the Bios, save the settings, and restart, but I am currently in the middle on a much greater crisis right now, so this is going to have to wait until I fix my computer from the black screen and the error message that's on it right now to do that. However, once the computer is running again, I will still have the same situation again that I mentioned to you. I was trying to start the diagnosising process.

PreetamD,
Thanks for the comments. Interesting point. Thought there was no one left on the post and I was ready to close it or leave it as a dead end.

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

PreetamD
PreetamD

Captain Kirk,

Can you please tell what's the error message ??

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

PreetamD,
"A Disk Read Error Has Occurred"

My computer has been down for two weeks now. Have not been able to fix it yet.
Ran into problems with no floppy drive, CD drive possibly disabled, and a Bios that doesn't support USB boot

I just formatted it 4 times and then used a Killdisk. At the moment, I have to format it again, and then partition it. And start from square one one again.
I failed the last Linux Puppy install on another second computer

--I only have XP
--I don't have a desktop
--I have 2 laptops
--I have a external hd case with a USB cord
--I have a USB flashdrive with XP on it
--My 2 laptops have a Bios that does not support USB boot

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

PreetamD
PreetamD

Does this tell you to press ctrl+alt+delete to restart ??

Posted 2 years ago

PreetamD
PreetamD

Captain Kirk,

If that's the case... this link may throw some light on it... Although I have a gut feeling that you may have to call a technician or take your computer to the store. Worst scenario, you may have to change your HDD...

All the best..

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

PreetamD,

I sincerly thank you for the link.
This looks like a good forum.
Haven't found the solution yet, but I'm still reading through them.
There are lots of posts!!

"Does this tell you to press ctrl+alt+delete to restart ??"
That is the exact message.

Captain Kirk
USS Enterprise

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!