How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Successful SP1 Install -- (I Think)...

(21 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Straspey
  • Latest reply from Straspey
  • Topic Viewed 686 times

Straspey
Straspey

About a week ago, I replied to a thread started by Scott regarding "Patch Tuesday" for this month.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=22

I mentioned that I still did not have SP1 installed on my system (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit) and asked if I still needed it, even though I was current with all my monthly updates from Microsoft. I also pointed out that I had originally installed SP1 back when it came out; however after experiencing some issues, I decided to un-install it and just leave it be.

After receiving many helpful replies with suggestions and guidance from a number of good people here, I decided to take the plunge - which I have done this morning.

The first thing I did was to install all the updates for the current Patch Tuesday for this month - February - in the order in which they were offered.

After successfully completing that part, I restored SP1 from my hidden updates list, and took the plunge.

The download was only about 90 Megs - the smallest it could have been. The download and installation took a while, but ran smoothly - after which I was presented with another two additional "recommended" updates from 2011, which I went ahead and installed as well.

The entire process took about 90 minutes, and my system seems to be running normally and smoothly.

My only misgiving was to discover that, with the installation of SP1, all my previous restore points had been deleted; and I'm assuming that's to prevent me from trying to run a system restore which predates the installation of SP1. I should make sure to note that windows did create a restore point prior to installing SP1, so I do have at least one point available should I need to go back to the time before making the installation.

I would appreciate hearing from somebody regarding this and if it's normal. (I was able to create a manual restore point without any problems as well.)

Otherwise, everything seems to have gone perfectly; and I want to offer my thanks to Xhi, Lady Fitzgerald, germ-x, whs and raphoenix - all for pitching in with their expertise to help me through the process.

After this - I must say I'm a bit happy to hear that Microsoft has no plans to release an SP2 for Windows 7 ;)

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Looks perfect to me. Just just like I would expect it to work.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Hi Howard,

Yes that is the norm, the only way you may have been able to keep the old restore points is if you previously (to the install of SP1) reset your restore point reserve to a larger max/min.

At present you're probably running 4-5Gigs of reserved storage area, if you wanted the old points to stay prior to the install you would probably need about 15 - 20Gigs.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

@ Xhi -

Thanks very much.

And, I'm assuming that includes the removal of those older restore points, correct ?

One of the updates for this month was the new version of MSE, which I installed in the order in which it was presented.

I have it configured to run a daily quick-scan and download of updates, and it creates a new restore point every three days or so, which I'm hoping it will continue to do.

And thanks again for your help help.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

@ GuiltySpark -

Actually, I checked and have System Restore configured for 6% - which is about 27 Gigs of my HDD.

But no worries. As long as I still have that one point prior to the SP1 install, and going forward, new points are created on schedule, all will be well.

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Personally, I have my MSE set to do a full scan once a week at 3:ooam Sundays. No need for more.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

I'm one of those people who shuts down my system completely at night, before shutting myself down for the evening.

If my computer is running at 3:00 AM on Sunday, it means I had a fight with my wife - (just kidding).

The daily quick scan runs in the background without interrupting anything I might be doing at the time - and also downloads the newest definitions for the day.

OTOH - I usually run a full scan only about once a month; and should probably do that more often.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Howard you were just in time. :) :)

Customers must upgrade to SP1 to continue to receive security patches after April 9

http://www.computerworld.com/s.....2013-02-21

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

Thank you very much Rick.

Now that you mention it, I think I'd read that somewhere recently - which may be the reason I raised this issue in the first place. I'll have to check my wife's computer as well - but now at least I know what to expect :)

Thanks again !

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

Umm...Not so fast.

I've just received a notice from Windows that I have another 17 updates available (13 Important, 4 Optional)

Most of them are back-dated to 2010 and 2011 - updates for Net Framework 3.51 and a couple for the remote desktop operations - as well as one for Windows Media 12.

I'm inclined to go ahead and install them all. Going out for about an hour - so any suggestions and feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Install ALL the Updates as they are NEEDED.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

@Straspey, Before installing those new updates check in control panel > Programs and Features > Windows updates and see if by chance you are getting the update message for an update already installed. This has happened to me when I recovered an image using Norton Ghost. Seems some of the previous updates want to reinstall. Another thought is maybe you checked those to hide. Now since you have SP1 installed they are giving you a reminder.
The next thing you need to do is make a system image so if something happens you won't have to reinstall all those updates.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

@ Rick & germ-x -

I followed your advice with happy results:

I checked my installed and hidden updates and did not find any redundancies or duplicates, so I went ahead and installed them.

First the 13 "Important" ones; then, after a reboot (and waiting for the Net Framework Service to run through its compilation process) I installed the three remaining updates marked "Optional"

The last one is the virus definition update file for MSE, and I will wait until it runs that automatically tomorrow morning.

I have relied on the advice of the expert geeks here at HTG for guidance regarding the installation of updates on a few occasions and, as a result, the few remaining "Hidden" updates I have from Microsoft are ones which I was advised to refrain from installing for one reason or another.

The other hidden updates are for Bing Desktop, Nvidia and Realtek software & drivers, etc.

At this point, it looks as if I have everything I need - but please do not hesitate to offer more suggestions if you think there's anything else I need to do.

And, once again, I want to express my gratitude for everybody's guidance and patience during this process. The lessons I have learned here during this business will certainly serve me well in the future.

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

What is this about Nvidia and Realtek software & drivers, etc ??

Normally any MS Offered Machine Hardware Device Drivers I Force in First when Clean Installing a Machine BEFORE down loading Software Updates.

Why did not you install them when they were offered ??

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

Rick -

The update from Realtek was for my on-board speakers and sound on my HP monitor.

I'm a classical musician and am very particular about my audio reproduction. After installing the update I remember a change in the quality of the sound which I did not like at all, so I removed it and reverted back to the original driver, which I still use and prefer.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 and have always approached those updates with a "If it ain't broke, it doesn't need fixing" attitude. In fact, I believe also tried an update there and ended up back-tracking. Since I just use my system for surfing, emails, etc., I don't really need "state-of-the-art" graphics.

Again - I am somewhat particular about my audio and video outputs, and will tend to stick with what I like. (I still own a turntable and vinyl LP's, which I listen to on large bookshelf speakers, and prefer the quality of analogue sound.)

OTOH - My wife is an amateur photographer, and also enjoys watching movies on her large monitor; so for her, we do install the latest updates in those areas.

The other updates which remain hidden are:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2529073)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2545698)
Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2547666)

Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (SP3)
Microsoft Office File Validation Add-in
PowerPoint Viewer 2007 Service Pack 3 (SP3)

Bing Desktop
Bing Desktop v1.1

Other than the Bing Desktop, which I did not want, some (if not all) of the above updates remain hidden as a result of my inquiries right here in this forum. I can recall being advised that at least two of them were "Not Necessary" and I there was really no reason to install them.

As of right now, except for those listed above, I am 100% current and up-to-date.

I await your thoughts.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

(KB2547666)
You cannot delete long URLs from the browsing history in Internet Explorer on a computer that is running Windows 7

(KB2529073)
Binary files in some USB drivers are not updated after you install Windows 7 SP1

(KB2545698)
Text in some core fonts appears blurred in Internet Explorer 9 on a computer that is running Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, or Windows Server 2008 R2

The above would be important to me.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

Rick -

Thanks very much. I don't recall exactly why I never installed those three updates - possibly because I had not installed SP1 at the time, and since I almost never used Internet Explorer, there's a good chance I was still running IE 8 at that time.

However, since I have already updated to IE 9, and today have installed SP1, I will take your advice.

I've gone ahead and restored the three updates to the active list, but will wait until tomorrow morning because, frankly - it's been a long day of updates and I'm a little exhausted. :)

I'll report back tomorrow in this thread after installing the updates and let you know how it went.

Thanks very much for your continued interest, support and guidance.

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

OK- Sweet Dreams. :) :)

Ric P.

Posted 1 year ago

Straspey
Straspey

@ Rick

As promised, I am reporting back with the results of my latest efforts.

Based on you wise advice, I went ahead and installed those three updates earlier today.

The download and installation ran quickly and smoothly.

After the installation was complete I clicked on the "Restart Now" button and the system restarted - then went through the "Configuring Windows" business - and then the system re-booted again on its own. It ran through another brief period of "Configuring Windows" and then started normally.

The system is running smoothly and I am now completely current on all my updates, except for the ones left over in the "Hidden" department as listed in my post just above.

Thanks very much for you guidance and support. I've learned much during this process, which will be of tremendous help to me in the future.

- Howard

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Great, glad to hear everything went well. :) :)

Tis a Shame MS will never release a SP-2 for Windows 7 as they want to Force customers to migrate to Windows 8.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!