How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Stuck in compatibility mode

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by laratta22
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 1563 times

laratta22

Hello-
While typing a document in Windows 2007, the format suddenly changed (I didn't do anything to prompt this) and I can not get the computer to go back to the correct formatting. I went from 8 pages of typed documentation to now 19 pages with the new larger font. I had also typed all my answers in blue and now all text has reverted to black.....not sure what is happening here?? Please help, this is my college exam that is due in a few hours!

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Usually you can select the text, and then use the "Styles" section on the ribbon toolbar to choose the "Normal" option for all the text.

Otherwise, there is an icon to the right of the font settings in the "Font" section that is for "Clear Formatting", which will remove the custom formatting from the selected text.

I'd make sure to save your document as well before you do anything else.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

As far as changing your answers back to blue, you'll have to select each one and then use the dropdown in the Font section to change the color.

You'll also probably notice a little popup menu when you select text that allows you to more easily change the color right from that.

Posted 6 years ago

laratta22

Sorry---this did not work! As soon as I noticed that this was happening, I already tried to change the style in the ribbon tool bar to "normal formatting." I even tried hitting the redo button and nothing was happening. Nothing is working! Could it be something going on with the computer program itself? I am trying to reformat the paper and am having a hard time as I have never experienced this before when trying to reformat a document. Can I send you a copy of what I am working on so that you can see what I am talking about? I am desperate as my paper is due in a few hours!

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Did you use the "Clear Formatting" button? That will usually remove all formatting from the selected text.

You have to select the text you want to clear formatting before clicking the button.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!