The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Storage Spaces pool (with data on it) now seen as unformated drive by win8

(10 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by gaikokujinkyofusho
  • Latest reply from Fhirkin9
  • Topic Viewed 844 times

gaikokujinkyofusho

I recently had a win8 issue with win8 where it rebooted to a blank screen with a cursor and i was not able to resolve the issue so i just reinstalled windows (did not touch the storage spaces pool) so i reinstalled and everything seemed fine, i could see the pool and all, then next thing i know win8 is asking me to format the drive (pool) like there is nothing on there. Now i am a bit flummoxed and am not sure where to go next to get my data back. I am having a hard time finding a command line howto for storage spaces (I started using computers back on DOS 5.0 so i can do ok with command line) i have found a few other posts related to storage spaces but thus far no solutions that have worked for me (didn't seem to understand the name part, i would type the pool name but win8 would say it didn't understand it).

Any help/suggestions/ideas would really be appreciated as i haven't been able to get a response on technet.

Cheers,

-Gaiko

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

You probably already checked this, but go to Control Panel > System and Security > Storage Spaces and see what the status of the pool is....this is pertinent to my upgrade decision....

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

ALso, I had a reboot to a black screen once and it took me a long time to figure out that my primary monitor selection had changed from my 1st monitor to my big screen TV.....

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

Fhirkin9. You have 30 minutes editing time on your posts. Please edit rather than add extra posts.

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

Understood, my bad

Posted 2 years ago

gaikokujinkyofusho

Hey, the blank screen was a documented issue, the cursor blinking in the upper left hand corner let me know that it wasn't a monitor output issue. As for the storage spaces status I check it almost daily (on the off chance that it "fixed itself") and it seems to think everything is ok, it shows up as healthy which is killing me since when i try to access it its still telling me it is a raw partition and asking if i want to format it. Any suggestions (cmd line?) would really be appreciated, esp as when i called MS they of course said they can't help me yet and suggested i post to answer.microsoft.com (useless) and someone there suggested i post to tech.microsoft.com (also useless)... seems that no one has an answer for this situation...

-Gaiko

Posted 2 years ago

Fhirkin9

It seems to me if you had the storage spaces set up in a RAID-1 like fashion, it would tell you if one of the drives in the array went bad. The drives show up as healthy in Device Manager?

Posted 2 years ago

gaikokujinkyofusho

yup, all drives show up healthy everywhere (bios, dev manager, and storage spaces/control panel).

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

Which version of Win8 are you running, RTM or RP? Hopefully you will get help next week, after launch...

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9

The Storage Space pool of drives came back online automatically when I did a clean install of PRO.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.