The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Stickies turning blue

(24 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 1794 times

whs

I was wondering why the stickies are turning blue (although nobody posted anything for months) whenever Scott changes his avatar. It's not really a problem, just a curiosity. I also wonder, whether I am the only one where this happens.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

It happens to me too. All the forum stickies are blue.
It happening due to Scott's avatar changing is something that I hadn't thought of.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Stange - The Forum Rules are missing.
Also I have (2) Sticky Blue and (1) Sticky Black postings at top.
Don't think changing an avatar would have anything to do with a style sheet.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@raphoenix: The rules link is now in sidebar on the right side of the page under "Forum Links".
Also this isn't a style sheet issue. The forum software has tracking that makes blue links unseen and seen ones black.
Somehow the tracking for the stickies seems to get reset once in a while. Maybe when Scott changes avators.
With how many bugs I've seen in the bbPress forum software it wouldn't surprise me.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

For one it's good to know that it is not only on my system. I am not 100% sure about the correlation with Scott's avatar. I just noticed it a few times in the past whenever he changes it. And since he has posts in the stickies, it seems to trigger it. I am sure that this is not specific to Scott's avatar, but the others keep their avatars unchanged. Interesting - I am sure the Geek knows more about this.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@jd2066,

Ok, I gotcha now. Yep, I just guess how the site is coded. Can of course see some of code using source code view but it is a pretty complicated site I'm sure on the back end. It is also a very unique site compared to others and I like it on a wide screen.
------------------------------
Can make BB Press do some pretty odd and neat things but was ask (not) to by LH when he moderated so I re-frame from playing around too much.

Did you help code the site ????
BTW: Rules on side bar is giving <div class=" error.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

> Did you help code the site ????
Nope. I just use it.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@jd2066,
Check out the FAQ and Rules and see if you get same error.

Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦ :)

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

When I click the rules link I get "cannot display the webpage".

Edit: That is only in Internet Explorer. It appears Google Chrome displays the page just fine.
Edit 2: Make that only Internet Explorer on my computer that doesn't work. If I visit it in Internet Explorer in a virtual machine on my computer it works. That is just odd.
Edit 3: Now it works in Internet Explorer on my computer just fine.
Edit 4: Now it doesn't work.

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@jd2066
Here is all I see in one white line on a blue background screen.
<div class="

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

It's definitely unrelated to Scott's avatar.

The problem is that the algorithm the forum uses to determine read vs unread is flawed, and can only store information about a certain number of threads. If you look back to really old threads in any of the forums you'll notice they are all showing up as unread.

The rest of the time, it's based on your actual browser history... it is set to show unread links in a different color than read links, but once your browser history is deleted they will show up as unread unless they are in that small number of threads being tracked on the forum backend side of things.

I can't duplicate the IE / rules link issue here. Works fine everywhere.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Hmm, so Scott's avatar changes at about the same time are a pure coincidence? I believe it, but this coincidence has happened already a few times. Anyhow, it's not a big problem. Just an academic curiosity.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

@whs. I had noticed that too!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Curious. Isn't it?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Did the "White Rabbit" say that? Or was is it Knut?

Posted 6 years ago

whs

What's the white rabbit?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

It was Alice.
Everything works fine now. :) :)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Curiouser and curiouser! :)

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

We can test this in a month or two. I'll give a heads up

Posted 6 years ago

whs

OK, alert us beforehand.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.