How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Startup type in "Services"

(42 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 8466 times

whs
whs

Anybody know what the difference between "Automatic" and "Manual" is ? My assumption was that with "automatic" the service is started at boot and with "manual" it is started when needed (called by a program). But I am not sure whether that definition is correct.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,
More about services than you care to know and kept very current including Win7.
Just keep digging deeper and deeper through the links after you begin.
http://www.blackviper.com/
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Rick, you wear me out. I am sure I can find the answer when I dig for 5 hours, but I am lazy. I thought you guys would know the answer. I am in the middle of preparing a class for my local computer club, and the question popped up in my mind when I was on the "Services" page. Hate to wing the answer in case it comes up.
I am just done with the outline of my first (of 4) chapter - after 4 hours of work. Now I have to put meat on the bone. It will probably take me 3 to 4 weeks of preparation for the whole thing including the write-up and the video capture of a "dry run". It is supposed to become a standard class at the club. I don't even have a title yet, but it is mostly about tricks and tips and some of the easier system internals and tools such as Process Explorer et al.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, you are correct! Automatic means that it will start with Windows. Manual means it will start when needed, and only when called.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, thanks. That helps.
Btw: this is a very good link regarding "Services". But I was too tired to read all that. LOL

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,
---
Definition of Windows Service States.
=====================================
Automatic: The Service is started automatically as part of the Windows boot process.
---
Manual: The Service can be started by another application or process that needs it, but is off by default.
Once it is started, the service will remain on until it is manually stopped or the system is rebooted.
---
Disabled: The Service will not start unless this condition is changed.
=====================================
You may use these definitions in your presentation.
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

That's what I was looking for. Thanks Rick. You are a friend. Where did you find those?

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,
---
Was in an old Win2K programing book in my library. Changed a few words and used some wording off the net to make the definitions easier to understand by all in your class when I re-read your posting this morning.
---
Think most sites use almost the same terms as they came from MS originally.
---
Remember; I get accused of using too much Cryptic Language by some folks. (LOL)
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

There is Automatic-Delayed start-up in Vista too.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@whs,
OOPS !!!! Don't Have ANY Vista or Win7 Books or Documention - Sorry About That. :( :(
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

BobJam
BobJam

And remember, even if a service is on manual . . . once it's called up it stays running 'till you either stop it through the services applet or you reboot your machine.

I had forgotten this fact myself, and happened to run a HJT log and saw that a service was running that I didn't have on "automatic" . . . gave me the WTF raised eyebrow. Turns out I had started an app that needed it, shut that app down, but the service stayed running.

So you might want to highlight this to your students. Is the second sentence in Rick's definition of "manual", but it's often overlooked.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

lol, "gave me the WTF raised eyebrow"!!! Just cracked me up :D

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

I used that system when I first started. Some things have to be on Automatic (you can't change that). Others things you need to be on Automatic.
Set the rest to manual, and at the end of each day, for 3 months, note which have started. You are then pretty safe to disable anything that has never started.
Now I use it as a diagnostic tool on other peoples systems to help solve problems.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks guys for the further clarifications. Thanks to you my students will get more educated than i ever was - LOL.

@LH, is that method really safe. E.g. I think to remember that the snipping tool depends on the presence of the tablet PC option. I wonder what happens to it if you disable the "Tablet PC Input Service" even if it has not been used directly. Have to try that once.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Now how did I know you would come back with "Snipping Tool", lol. Yes, if you use it, you need "Tablet PC Input Service" as Automatic or Manual.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

just testing - LOL. But on a more serious note: My point is that there may be "hiden vices" that are not obvious from the description of the service. Maybe you remember my problem with the flickering cursor when using the WMP and a flash drive in the box. Who would have known that there was a relationship with the "Windows Driver Foundation" service. Scott pointed that out to me (no idea how he ever found out) and since I disabled that bugger there is peace in the box. But reading the description of this service would have never given me that clue.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

You look to see which other services are dependent, is all.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

maybe, but many times it says "none" - e.g. Tablet PC.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

Dig deeper

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

With Every new MS O/S, I've had to purchase a Resource Book plus a bunch of Other Documentation.
---
Normally one can just [ Double ] the cost of the MS Retail O/S Edition to estimate the real cost to purchase a new MS Operating System including the documentation.
---
This "rule of thumb" has worked out pretty close over the years.
---
Example of Just One Book Needed:
http://www.microsoft.com/learn...../9536.aspx
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!