SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Start Menu Folder on Windows 7?

(5 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by jKmac
  • Latest reply from jitsejan
  • Topic Viewed 1349 times

jKmac

Is there any way of customizing the actual Windows 7 start menu folders? I used to be able to go to User Account under Windows XP, find the Start Menu and manipulate those folders any way I wanted. I do not seem to have that option under Windows 7. I found one website that told me to go to the Appsdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows/Start Menu folder under User\ User Name, but I could not find that Appsdata folder. It also said to try the Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\start Menu folder, but I could not find the Program Data folder.

Thank you for your help. I prefer being able to customize things the way I want, not the way Microsoft thinks I should have it.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

If you right mouse button on the existing items on both parts of the list you can move them around or delete (remove) them from the list. To put new items on, RMB on the icon of the file and pin it to the list, move as necessary after they get on the 2 part menu.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

jitsejan
jitsejan

Hey jKmac,

I assume you are using W7. The ProgramData folder is a hidden folder, so it won't show up normally. If you just paste "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" in the addressbar of your explorer you should be able to see it's contents.

Posted 4 years ago

jKmac

Thank you, jitsejan! That is what I wanted! I want to be able to create different folders within start menu and move shortcuts, as I want, into them or rename folders or whatever. Pinning, moving, and deleting is not enough.

Posted 4 years ago

jitsejan
jitsejan

I'm glad it works now. Good luck with customizing.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.