The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

SSD prices continue to plunge

(46 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1062 times

amkeew

Rick - One of these days, I am going to buy that damned Newegg itself, so that I can get my wish.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Easy Money ! :) :)
http://www.nseindia.com/

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ germ-x. Haven't been burned but I've seen enough accounts of people who have been burned to know enough to take steps to avoid it. I did have an image save my bacon (and data) a few years ago when a program (Threatfire) scrambled my OS. Thank God I not only kept backups but I also kept versioned backups.

@ whs. Yeah, Saoirse (my F150) is a thirsty girl compared to your cars but she has her advantages. She seats five comfortably and a sixth person if that person isn't too long legged. She has loads of cargo capacity (I love the tool boxes on the side of the shell!). Even though it's a large step up (thank God for step bars), she is much easier for me to get in and out of. Because of bad joints, etc. I have a hard time getting in and out of most vehicles; I often have to have help getting out of compacts. And the ride in most vehicles is very uncomfortable for me; Saoirse is very comfortable, even on long trips.

I have no idea how fast she will go since I've never opened her up (no need or desire to) but I'm guessing she could easily top 120 mph. She can easily hold her speed on any grade I've had her on (6% or so). I drive her as though she had eggs taped to the gas and brake pedals so she gets pretty decent gas mileage for a vehicle her size. The last time I checked, she was doing 17 mpg city and 19 mpg highway (I drive the speed limits; less if conditions require it).

Diesels aren't available for the F150s. Ford truck diesel engines burn less fuel than an equivalent gasser but diesel fuel prices are higher. They can go farther with less maintenance but, when maintenance is needed, it costs more than a gasser because they usually have larger sumps that hold more. Repairs are less frequent but are also more expensive. The initial cost of a diesel engine is higher than a gasser. Overall, gas engines are far more economical than diesels. Diesels shine in Ford pickups when one is doing frequent heavy towing.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Yeah, diesels are really a problem in the US. The ones they sell like in the pickups were designed at the times of the civil war - and those bangers are noisy. There are no modern designed turbo diesels available. The reason is simple - there is no modern diesel fuel available. The diesel fuel in the US contains sulfur and a lot of water. That is no problem for those old rustic engines and the trucks. But modern diesels are high tech engines that need modern diesel fuel.

Now why is there no modern diesel fuel available - they have not built a new refinery in over 30 years. Your guess is as good as mine for the reasons.

Btw: in Europe, the diesel fuel is way cheaper than gas. That's why nearly 70% of the passenger cars are diesels (e.g. in France).

Regarding the getting in and out of the car I can appreciate that. I am missing 2 discs in my back and have backpain all the time. I also always buy cars that are higher and where I can easily slide in. This was my old car I just sold. This picture was taken 2 months ago. It is 13 years old, but look at the condition it's in. Not a single scratch and not one spot of rost:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Our diesel pickup engines aren't as ancient as you describe; most are pretty modern. the difference is they are TRUCK engines. Some of the small CATs they use weigh as much as that car you pictured. That's one reason why they don't put them in F150s.

The reason for no new refineries is money; the greedy oil companies don't want to spend it plus reducing supply helps to keep prices up (although most of the reason for higher prices are the boils on the financial backside of society, a.k.a. speculators). Yes, American diesel fuel isn't as good as Europe's but it's also less expensive.

I've been suffering from Adhesive Capsulitus (a.k.a. frozen shoulder although it also affected my hips). I'm doing better but it will probably never fully heal. I also have deformed feet (Metatarsus Adductus) and bad knees that give me problems (my knees and feet go out more than I do, arthritis in my hands and back (at least I don't have it in my knees like my poor Daddy and his brothers did), Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, general feebleness, and severe nasal allergies that have been resisting treatment. My blood work and family history says I'm a walking poster child for heart attack and/or stroke so I'm on an aspirin regimen (81 mg twice daily). Still, it could be worse. I'm just glad I can afford to be retired.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Well, we all have our package to carry. But at 75 I am happy when I can get up every morning. Life is a bit slower than it used to be, but that is OK with me. Fortunately I have no heart problem. But most other subsystems are on the blink - especiall my eyes (Macula degeneration) and the back. The rest I can manage.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.