SSD prices continue to plunge

(46 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by raphoenix
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1062 times

gedstar
gedstar

@ raphoenix

The British do pay a horrible high price for computers and components from what I can tell.

I don't know why. :( :(

You should try living in Ireland, even more expensive!!!!

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

UK subject to 20% VAT (similar to a general service tax)

240gb OCZ SSD = £115 (186.4462 USD)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-AG.....#38;sr=8-2

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

LF, "methinks you have to sign up for NewEgg's daily email ads to use the code"

I don't think so. With the promo code you can get it. I get the daily Newegg mails. They are very useful because they often have really good sales. And if you don't want that, check into this thread from time to time. There we always post the best deals from all kinds of vendors.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I get the daily emails so it's a moot point for me. I'm thinkin' I read somewhere you have to be registered for the emails to use the promo codes but, then again, I'm old and getting senile. I also check into that thread when it pops up although I haven't found anything interesting there...yet.

If one had room for it, one would be better off getting two 500 GB SSDs instead of OCZ's 1 TB SSD. Not only are the two Samsungs way cheaper than the one OCZ, the 1 TB OCZ is downright pokey compared to Samsung's 500 GB SSDS, even if you don't run them in RAID 0.

I'm wondering why someone doesn't make an SSD with two or more smaller SSDs running in RAID 0 to make a really fast SSD. If they can make 500 GB and 1 TB SSDs, there should be rooom to cram two smaller drives and a RAID controller inside a 2.5" case. Imagine the drive they could make using a 3.5" case. Anyone for a 4-6 TB SSD?

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Since my OCZ Vertex 2 drive just died a few weeks ago (apparently due to a sleep related issue that an awful lot of people seem to be having) I doubt I'd be buying another OCZ SSD any time soon. The drive was just over two years old, so I have RMA'd it. Didn't lose any data as I'm backed up daily, but I wasn't entirely happy about sending off a drive with my personal data most likely still intact.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Why did you not Secure Erase it before sending.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LF,

I Run two machines with all SSDs and always use Raid 0 Arrays.

I've had a newegg Business Account forever so they give me their Special Customer Discounts / Promos when and if available.

You should sign up for a newegg account. :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. Can you secure erase a dead drive (other than exposing it to a honking huge magnet like the ones scrap yards use)?

@ Rick P. I was talking about a hypothetical SSD with the "innards" of two smaller ones (say 60 to 128 GB ea) and it's own RAID controller all inside a single 2.5" case. Only one MOBO SATA port and one SATA data and SATA power cable would be needed to connect to the drive.

I have a regular account and I occasionally get special offers from them (beyond their regular sales). They also notify me if an item on a wish list goes on sale. How is a business account different and what is required?

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

@all, your comments on SSD's are very interesting and informative, but for the most part unless you have a special need and or very knowledgeable the low end laptops have spinners as well as the desktops. The 1Tb HDD is about as large as I would go and even with that I have redundency backups, which means you really need two HDD's.
When I use to travel abroad on business, it seemed I always had a few trinkets packed away in my luggage. That sometimes included high end stuff.
@Rick, I used to run Raid 0 many yrs ago and yes it helped but if one drive fails then you have lost a lot of data. With the speed of today's SSD's would one benefit from running Raid 1??

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

g-x, With SSDs, there is no need for Raid. Yes you get better nums in the measurements, but in real life that means very little. I think Rick does that mostely because he is a perfectionsist.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs and germ-x. I don't disagree you all. I was just having fun speculating. I'm going to run only one SSD for a boot drive in my next computer (I am using 2 TB drives for data, though, and I'm even more redundant on backups with two local drives and another one offsite for each drive I have; yes, I'm a coward).

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

(LOL) Yes I am a Perfectionist when it comes to machines that's for sure.

I expect the utmost performance out of any piece of equipment whether it be Aircraft, Automobile or Computer. :)

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

@WHS The drive was completely fubar. Bios couldn't even detect it, let alone any of the usual disk management software.

@Rick I knew your PC was a hulking beast, but I never imagined your car would be as well.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ PH. You should see my "car." An F150 Super Crew

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@LF,

What ???? No 4 Wheel Drive with off rode suspension and I don't see winch on the front end.

3/4 or 1 ton F250/350 get you better climbing rally performance. :)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Don't need a 4x4, don't need the higher insurance bill that comes with a 4x4, don't need the higher fuel consumption that comes with a 4x4, don't need the higher maintenance that comes with a 4x4, don't need a winch that adds weight that increases fuel consumption and makes for more truck length to deal with when parking. Don't need an F250-F350 and the higher fuel consumption they have. Don't have a need for more speed either. Of course, if you are going to foot the bill...

;)

Posted 1 year ago

amkeew
amkeew

Rick, what with your insider trading deals with Newegg and all, could you not get me that under 1000 bucks LT with 512 GB SSD ? ;)

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

@LF, Don't think your a coward. Just think you've been burned once or twice. Most people are reactive by nature. Then something happens that changes some to become proactive. I think one of the most beneficial accomplishments of this forum is making new members understand the importance of backups.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

LF, Your car is not really a model of economy either. For me, anything that does less than 40MpG is a gas guzzler.

My 13 year old car that I just sold did 42MpG and my new car does 45MpG (mixed driving). And it is fast (120MpH) on it's 1600cc turbo engine with 7 speed Direct Shift automatic. I could have done even a lot better with a turbo diesel engine. But I did not want a diesel - although diesels are more powerful, quieter at speed and last longer, besides using a lot less fuel.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@amkeew,

If I had that much influence, I would buy Two for myself at that price. (LOL) :) :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.