XhiiX

yeah it's good

Posted 2 years ago

ProstheticHead

Sure about that Rick? :)

Link

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

The British do pay a horrible high price for computers and components from what I can tell.

I don't know why. :( :(

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

This one is a bargain.

Posted 2 years ago

ProstheticHead

To be fair, if money were no object I'd probably have a couple of those.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Rick, one of the reasons why prices of PC components are high in Europe is the sales tax (e.g. 19% in Germany) and import duty (11% in Germany). And those percentages have to be included in the posted price. In Germany it is illegal to post a price without the taxes.

That alone increases the prices by 30%. In Germany an item usually costs the same in Euros as it costs in Dollars in the US - and the Euro is worth appr. $1.30. On top of that you rarely have any sales like e.g. on Newegg. So you nearly always pay the recommended manufacturer price.

There was a little give on cars in recent years because the EU liberated the laws. On the new car I got in Germany in October I got a 5000 Euro break ($6500). With some other makes I could have done even better.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

@whs, Thanks for the Good Explanation.

As for SSD Storage, it was only a few years ago that most folks only needed a couple hundred GBs of storage so
256 GB and 512 GB SSDs are not bad.

I'm still trying to figure out what folks need +1 TBs of storage for since most stuff is already in the free cloud ??

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Not everyone has access to the cloud all the time or they are stuck with a bandwidth cap. Add to that the ephemeral nature of many sites. Cloud data storage is not 100% reliable so there is a need to have redundacy in place. Hence, local storage. SSD storage is still too expensive to be practical for most people but the day is coming when spinners will be replaced by SSDs; I'll probably live long enough to see it (and I doubt I will live another 20 years). The technology is available now; it's the cost that is holding it back. Still, laptops with 512 GB SSDs aren't far fetched now. I'm surprised I haven't seen any with an SSD boot drive and a spinner yet.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

http://www.calibex.com/Dell-XP.....rices-html There are not many but here is one.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

These 512 GB SSDs are all mostly under $1.00 per GB. :) :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....name=512GB

Posted 2 years ago

whs

LF, there are quite a few upscale laptops that have an SSD and a spinner. The SSDs are usually small (20 to 30GB). Look into the Ultrabooks. There you find them.
There are also a few 17" laptops that have 2 disk bays. One is usually empty where you can put a SSD in. Last resort is to use the CD reader bay and put a SSD in.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Agree with whs. :)

One can also Configure To Order (CTO) most any Dell Laptop with an SSD.

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Ah, but are the SSDs being used for boot drives (the size suggests not) or to cache the spinners?

I almost bought a 17" laptop that had two 160 GB spinners five years ago (I'm glad I didn't).

Posted 2 years ago

whs

LF, I think some SSDs are used as cache and others actually have the OS on them. But I have not really surveyed that topic in any detail.

Posted 2 years ago

amkeew

Yay. My wishlist of under $1000, 512 gig laptop may not be a pipe dream after all.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Last I looked, the Dell CTO could be made with 256 GB SSD or better but not for $1000 or less. (LOL) :)

Posted 2 years ago

amkeew

I am locking my fingers with duct tape, rick. :)

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@ whs. I checked out the Dell Rick linked but I couldn't find anywhere that would say if the SSD was used for a boot drive or for caching. I read something somewhere recently that said there was a new laptop standard that calls for allowing room for an SSD to be used for caching.

This just in: NewEgg has a Samsung 840 500GB SSD, normally $365, for $328.49 with promo code EMCYTZT2678 for today only. methinks you have to sign up for NewEgg's daily email ads to use the code.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.