The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

SSD OS - folder relocation - headache?

(4 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by mukarakaplan
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 876 times

mukarakaplan

After some research and advice, I've very recently decided to buy a 30GB SSD + 500GB 7200 rpm instead of a 300GB 10000 rpm. But I haven't bought yet because I'm still not %100 sure if I'm doing the right thing. I'll use the SSD as Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit drive. I'll obviously need to relocate my users folder, and maybe some other folders like program files, and the ever-growing winsxs (I've never heard of this one before). Some questions to those who've done this before:

Question 1: Is it an easy task to relocate these folders or is it gonna be a headache? The following link says it takes just one line of mklink command to make it work:
http://www.tips5.com/how-to-re.....-windows-7
But then the following link says that I need to follow a different way and play with the registry too:
http://tuts4tech.net/2009/08/0.....partition/

Question 2: Will everything work smoothly once the folders are relocated? Or should I expect some software failures, crashes, headache, re-installations, system failure, broken-heartedness, etc.?

Question 3: Once the folders are relocated, is it gonna be significantly faster than if everything was on a 10000 rpm? Say I have program files on SSD, and users folder on 7200 rpm. A software which has some of its stuff located in AppData folder in users folder will be working back and forth, so the speed will decrease whenever the software needs to access the 7200 rpm part of it. So where is the comparative speed gain (with respect to 10000 rpm) that we expect? Is it just when the program launches?

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

mukarakaplan,
---
You are thinking of splitting the Win7 system with (2) Mis-Matched Hard drives and Technologies. (Not Good)
---
Suggest you run the complete Win7 system on the SSD and use the WD 7200 for storage purposes.
---
You are only purchasing a $99 motherboard and trying to put "lip stick" on a pig" so to speak. :)
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

mukarakaplan

I am trying to maximize the speed with a budget, and I don't think that it's wrong to want the hard drive work fast. I'm not sure buying a more expensive motherboard and a cheaper hard drive would be a better option than the current one. You are not liking my current motherboard choice, that you mentioned that twice. With that budget and the goal (performance computer not for gaming) mentioned on my other message, which motherboard would you buy? I'm still open for suggestions.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=12

I think what you suggest is to have the complete Win7 (as a system including the Users folders, winsxs and the Program files/Data folder) on the SSD, and have everything else on the 7200. The problem with having the complete Win7 on the SSD is that there is no way I can fit the Users folder in that 30 GB SSD. My current AppData folder in the Users folder is more than 15GB. Win7 itself requires 20GB, and the program files folder will be around 7-8GB...

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

mukarakaplan,
---
I understand. Just like to see folks have some backup on their machines. :)
---
For Gaming, the CPU, Memory and Video must be maximized.
---
The HDs are really of least importance after games are loaded.
---
What I would suggest is (4) WD Blue 500-750 Gigs.
Use (2) drives in Raid 0 for the system and (2) drives in Raid 1 for redundant backup.
---
They are inexpensive, within budget, will meet your speed plus capacity needs and
can be used as storage in another computer build with SSDs later in time.
---
SSD are Very Fast but 30 Gig is too small of capacity and larger ones are still very expensive compared to mechanical HDs.
---
Best Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!