How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

SSD Issue

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Assassin2050
  • Latest reply from gedstar
  • Topic Viewed 313 times

Assassin2050
Assassin2050

My 120gb Kingston hyperX SSD was going low on space, so I decided to move a 4 gig game to my storage HDD. After that and even after restarting the SSD still has the same amount of space left, nothing moved. And no I did not copy I cut and paste :). Its on ACHI and Trim should be running if that info is usefull, any help? Thanks

Update--

I copied the game back, deleted it, the bar moved back again. But still when checking the size of all the files in C and subracting that from 111 GB there should be atleast 45 gb left, yet theres about 40, is it hidden folders?

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Tips to combat low storage space:

1. If you have enough RAM, lower the amount of pagefile. I suggest moving the pagefile to another local drive

2. If you do not use hibernation, disable it.

3. Delete files and do disk clean up.

4. Use CCleaner

5. Lower the allocation of the recycle bin

6. Disable system restore point and use scheduled system image backup. If you want system restore point to work, then just delete restore point without turning it off. Just remember to delete restore point once in a while to avoid build up.

7. Use WinDirStat http://windirstat.info/ to check what is taking up your space. Particularly look for log files that can grow bigger over time. Try to delete them.

8. Uninstall unused program and window component.

9. Move user files (music, photo, documents, etc) to external storage.

Posted 1 year ago

Assassin2050
Assassin2050

Thank you, Il try some of that stuff and I also went to the "temp" folder which had a plain 15 gigs of installation files for AC3, Basically doubling the installed files. I deleted that

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The additional file may be restore points. Run this command:

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Get a program like WINDIRSTAT or SPACE SNIFFER (Run As Administrator) and these will display and detail all space on the hard drive. Should help you see what might be taking up the space.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

Already mentioned WINDIRSTAT in my original post :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!