The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

SQLNotify for e-mail notifications

(3 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jfvassar
  • Latest reply from The Geek
  • Topic Viewed 1130 times

jfvassar

I think the e-mail notification procedure is going to be just what I need, but it does not seem to be working yet. I got it from http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....with-smtp/ and I did introduce the IP address of the SMTP server (which can be pinged from the SQL Server host). Running the proc with valid parameters, it returns "Mail Sent!" as coded in the procedure. I noticed when I changed the e-mail address parameter to a valid Yahoo address, it returned -2147220977. One thing I'm puzzled about is that the proc executes other procs (named sp_OA...) which do not exist on my SQL 2000 server. I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this - just looking for a place to start or hints/suggestions. Thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

jfvassar

Actually, I now have this working. Also, I did not remember (Homer Simpson doh! moment) that the sp_OA procedures are extended stored procedures in SQL 2000. The way I got this to work is that the person who gave me the SMTP server IP and DNS actually gave me an SMTP server (MS Exchange) that only allowed messages from certain trusted sources to transmit. One option was to try and get that SMTP administrator to accept incoming messages from the SQL host, but I found a faster (better) way: I asked one of the guys to send me a common e-mail message, then I looked all through the Header information from the e-mail, found a different Exchange server in the messages, then tried that server, and it worked! Magic, huh? :-)

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Glad you figured it out =)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!