How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Spontaneous reboots (Windows 7 x64)

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by janrbnl
  • Latest reply from Ruja
  • Topic Viewed 267 times

janrbnl

Hi all,

Sometimes my machine has a mind of its own and it reboots spontaneously. It happens randomly (sometimes 3 times a day and sometimes it can take some 5 or 7 days before it happens again). No difference between idling or working state. There is no BSOD, it just reboots. In eventviewer I only get the message that Windows has shut down unexpectedly.

What I've done so far to try to solve all this: I removed/disabled all programs/services that I don't need. That helped for a while and greatly improved boot time. I made sure my drivers are all up to date and working fine (Windows found a newer version of my graphics card driver and installed it). This helped for some days.

Then I went into the BIOS. Well, in fact it is UEFI to check settings. I changed some settings, like chassis fan 2 (it showed red, when in fact nothing was wrong: rpm's, etc). I made sure that all other settings were correct.

So far, this has worked correctly for over two weeks now. But what I want is a real solution and no workarounds.

My PC specs:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 deluxe
Processor: Intel I5 Quadcore at 3.1 Ghz.
Memory (RAM): 16 GB Corsair (4x4 GB modules at a safe setting of 1333 Mhz (standard setting))
Western Digital 2 TB harddisk
Graphics: nVidia 550 GTX (1 GB video memory)

This PC has always worked flawlessly, until I decided to reinstall in October this year.

All updates for Windows 7 (x64) are installed.

Although things seem fine now, I'm still not sure.

Maybe any advice?

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

"So far, this has worked correctly for over two weeks now."

I can't think of anything right now, everything you have done seems OK, but if this happens to you again, please report back and we will try to find a solution.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!