How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Spikes in CPU and Memory usage

(7 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by Ronjonss04
  • Latest reply from ryounkin
  • Topic Viewed 710 times

Ronjonss04

Hey Guys,
Over the last few days i have noticed a significant decrease in performance in my laptop. The cpu/memory have been spiking from 0 to full usage when doing absolutely nothing on the computer. These problems started recently around last thursday. Have already run virus scan and malware bytes...wondering if anyone has any idea of what this may be, or suggestions of how to take care of it?
(Have Read other threads on this here)

Win7 64 bit professional
4 gig of ram
Intel i5
ATI Radeon hd 5770 1g vram

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Go to the GADGET 'store' and get the TOP FIVE gadget and when the spike happens, look to see what is going on and running.

Might also want to get ALL CPU METER to see when those spikes happen.

With that data, we might be able to figure out what is happening.

There are other programs as well that will tell you what is running, like WHAT'S RUNNING or WHAT IS MY COMPUTER DOING.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

Ronjonss04

Alright man i'll look in to those, I have a cpu meter via the gadget store. I was attacked from a ip address out of china about a week ago, i'm thinking there may be malicious software not detected by malware or mse.

Posted 3 years ago

GKI610
GKI610

There's been some crap going around lately, so be sure your Malwarebytes' is fully updated. MSE stopped a trojan downloader in it's tracks for me.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Do another scan with superantispyware: http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

Posted 3 years ago

Ronjonss04

Alright, will post back later after work with results.

Posted 3 years ago

ryounkin

Back 6 months ago, my computer would slow to a crawl periodically. I was using Windows XP at the time. Malwarebytes prevented a "phone-home" attempt by malware to Maldova! None of the usual software could find it and I ended up converting to Linux.

The same thing then started to happen. This time the culprit was Chrome. I keep Chrome running with Huffington Post, CNBC, and a site with stock charts. All of these "auto-update" periodically, CNBC especially sucked up a lot of cpu time.

Bob

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!