The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Speeding up folders

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by CMurdock
  • Latest reply from CMurdock
  • Topic Viewed 519 times

CMurdock

I had Vista for just a short time when I had to buy a new computer recently. I had this problem in Vista, and now I am having it in Windows 7. (Before that I had Windows 2000 -- I never used XP.)

Some of my directories have thousands and thousands of files in them. These are directories I use to store business information in. For example, there is a directory that has an HTML file for every product I have ever sold, and there is a directory that has a picture of every product I have ever sold, and a directory that has a thumbnail picture of every product I have ever sold. Starting with Vista, accessing these directories/folders became a very slow process. There are times that I have sat for up to a minute waiting for a folder to open (it doesn't seem to matter which application I am using). I think this is happening because Vista and now Windows 7 collect metadata for each file in the directory (is that right?). If that's the case, is there any way to make Windows 7 behave like Windows 2000 and NOT collect metadata (or whatever it is doing) so that the directories/folders will open faster? Thank you.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

It is possible that if you open the folder properties under Explorer, on the GENERAL tab, CUSTOMIZING it for a specific filetype might work better?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

CMurdock

Yes, I tried that. It made no difference. It seems that Windows 7 constantly collects metadata no matter what the settings are. Thanks anyway.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.