SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Specifications to buy a Good if not great computer?!

(34 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by GoldenQueen
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 13427 times

GoldenQueen

PLEASE HELP ME:

I have that Alert thing that appear every one minute and then I lose my page ...took me 30 minutes to write this down

Alert: This URL is not valid and cannot be loaded....

This is driving me Crazy ..

Please help me my friend ,,, I almost canot use my computer

GoldenQueen :)

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Looks like something has highjacked your browser. Try another browser and run SuperAntiSpyware - can't hurt.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

So does this happen with any page you go to?? I assume so from the context, but not sure.

Is the "alert" you're getting an alert from your browser?? (Again, I assume so from the context), IE or FF? If you have both, might be interesting to see if it happens with both. If it just happens with one, then clearly it might be the browser you're using, and it can be troubleshot from there.

The reason I ask about the "alert" is because that's commonly a term that is seen with antivirus software.

What version(s) of the browser(s) are you using??

Are you going to the URL's from your bookmarks or are you typing them in?? I assume it's from your bookmarks. If so, try typing one in. If that works, then that might say your problem is with the bookmarks.

So, two easy and quick things to try to see if we can narrow this thing down:

1. See if it happens with another browser.

2. See if it happens when you type in the URL.

If the page is written in MS JScript and you have Scripting blocked this can happen. If you're using the "NoScript" add on in FF, that might be doing it. Or if the site (if it only happens on one site) is designed for exclusive use by IE and you're using FF, this could happen.

Need a little bit more info to narrow this down.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Goldie, I believe that you are a Firefox user. See this thread at Mozilla Support:
http://support.mozilla.com/tik.....;forumId=1

There are several solutions suggested, but start with safe mode Firefox. Go to Start -> All Programs -> Mozilla Firefox -> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode). This runs Firefox with all extensions, plugins, and themes disabled. If that works, then we can figure out which add-on is the culprit.

You should also try Internet Explorer to see if it has a problem. This will tell us if it is specific to Firefox or might be some network issue. Also, as whs says, it never hurts to run anti-virus and anti-spyware scans. Some malware can cause error messages.

Posted 6 years ago

GoldenQueen

whs - Bob Jam - ScottW

whs: I dont know if I was "highjacked"or something but I did change browser ..yes I am using mostly FF ScottW so I change to ie and it did the same ...:(

BobJam: I am using Vista service pack 1 and FF 3.01 (boy I feel so clever here) lol
using those abreviations to write my problems. i did almost what you describe here with no solutions

ScottW: One thing .I dont know how to use (Safe Mode) and I am not sure to use it or even ..scare to use it
either..so no (safe mode) for me.

Yes I mostly use FF so when I switch to IE the Alert followed me there also .it did the same ...there are no ways for me to go and
write something ..I went to look at support in FF but it did not help me much either that "safe mode" again ..
In the support in FF I saw that I was not the only one who had that problem....it was not a relief for me though ...
So ..what I did is a restore point, this computer is bran new...and the restore point worked ...
No more Alert...but....now I am scare that thing "Alert" comes and bite me again ...

The where and the whys are not clear for the future ....
Oh I wish I had some time to take some course ..but as I see ..I think its experiences ..Lots of it
that is needed in situation like this.

Thank you all ..whs :) Bob Jam :)
and yes keep on looking for some magic programs to get rid of that ridicule "alert"

Scott ...nobody sent me something yet....I suppose MODs has not been online yet

YourCanadianFriend Goldie :-)

Posted 6 years ago

whs

For future use: How to use "Safe Mode" - http://windowshelp.microsoft.c.....11033.mspx -- Glad to hear that you got rid of the bugger.

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Whoa there! I'm not talking about running Windows in safe mode only running the safe mode version of Firefox. This is not the same, although the reuse of the same phrase is confusing.

Goldie, the safe mode version of Firefox is perfectly, um, safe. It launches Firefox with the add-ons temporarily disabled, but it does not make any permanent changes. Once you restart Firefox, everything will return to normal. Please give it a try: go to Start -> All Programs -> Mozilla Firefox and you will see the two different versions of Firefox. Run the one that says "Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)" and see if that makes the Alert message go away.

Since you are seeing the Alert message in IE, as well, it is probably something else. Does the message actually contain the text, "Alert"? The rest of the message is a valid message, but the text, "Alert", may indicate that this is a malware infection. I think that's what Bobjam was getting at.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Hmm, maybe at my age I should stop "speed reading". Sorry Goldie, I did not want to confuse you.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

Since it happens in both browsers and typing in the URL's apparently didn't work either, then it may be malware. HOWEVER, if you say that the restore point worked, then maybe that did it.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but if you have malware it still might be lurking on your machine. But, you said that this machine is brand new, so if it contracted an infection, it must've been in the first week of use or so. Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying you have an infection for sure, just that it's a possibility.

Again, though, if your use of the restore point seems to have made things right, then maybe "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies. If you don't notice any unusual behavior or slowdowns, then maybe this was just . . . "weird" and unexplainable (unlikely, but possible).

Did you run a SuperAntiSpyware scan?? Have you run an antivirus scan?? It might be good to do a HijackThis scan and an on line antivirus scan, but before we get into any malware diagnostics, I'll wait for your reply.

If you say everything is OK, then maybe we'll just let well enough alone. If you have other problems, then we'll do some malware diagnostics.

By the way, my 40 year old son is an attorney. He's always saying "that depends on the facts and circumstances".

Posted 6 years ago

SSDF

Can't say anything about specs but assuming your looking for decent prices
I noticed somewhere a comparision between Staples and Future Shop Just throwing it in But future shop is generally several times more expensive often even for Somthign not of equivilent value.
Although occasianlly they might be cheaper .. But I have always found staples to be better.

Posted 6 years ago

BobJam

I think, SSDF, you're a little late on this. She already got her new machine. From her post about two thirds down on page 1: "Well, I did it, got that new Vista computer".

Posted 6 years ago

SSDF

SHHH :P

Posted 6 years ago

GoldenQueen

Hello Great good Geeks :)

I install "foxclock" from Firefox addons ..to find out its quite annoying.
Now I would like to uninstall it but I cannot ...reason be...its not with the addons???
Under Tools..its there by itself ..and if I try to right click....nothing except "blank" so I cannot
uninstall ..is there some hope for me to have a nice or more than one geeks to help me out? Please

Friendly canadian GoldenQueen :)

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@GoldenQueen: You should post that in a new topic. This one is old and unrelated to that question.
Though since the post is already here I'm answer it anyway. Just go to Tools -> Add-ons, Click Extensions at the top, rightclick on the "Foxclock" entry and click Uninstall.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.