The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Speakers are quiet on full volume

(15 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by loudog
  • Latest reply from michael
  • Topic Viewed 28388 times

loudog

I just bought a brand new PC with Vista already installed, it didnt come with speakers so I plugged in my old emachines sp-20A speakers and installed the latest vista drivers. Still to hear anything you have to put your ear right up to the speakers. Please try and help me out!

Lou

Posted 6 years ago

loudog

help anyone?

Posted 6 years ago

syn

i am assuming the speakers have there own volume control and that is where you are turning up the volume. Check vista's internal volume in the control panel.... i think it is still there haven't used my vista computer in a few weeks.

Posted 6 years ago

loudog

no the speakers have no external volume control and all volumes are turned up to max in the control panel

Posted 6 years ago

syn

Ok do you have multiple ports to plug sound in. and do the speakers have any special functions like required software or an amp that they plug into.

Posted 6 years ago

loudog

just the usual ports, my machine is Advent T9508

& i dont have an amp

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Perhaps your speakers are defective? If not, then try reinstalling your drivers.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Try plugging in headphones where you plugged in the speakers. Tell us what happens.

Posted 6 years ago

loudog

the headphones sound normal

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Then it seems to me like you have a problem with your speakers..

Posted 6 years ago

Bobthenewguy

I hadd the same problem with a new laptop. It had vista premium. The problem went away after installed all of the new vista updates. You probably know how to do this, but if you don't:
Go to the control panel
In the bottom left corner there is the option to update the computer.
Update the computer several times to be sure that you get all of the updates.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Odd. Oh wait - maybe the drivers were out of date, if the system was using WDDM drivers. Thanks for posting your solution Bobthenewguy.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

loudog

which update solved the problem?

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

Be careful with the driver updates though. One of Vista's updates made my sound driver unable to detect my microphone. I had to rollback the driver to fix it. Updating drivers is not a cure-all.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Oh yeah - I had eMachines speakers. They stopped working one day, so I had to get a new pair. I discovered they had stopped working because the wire protruding from the back had been streched too far. Have you streched yours?

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!