How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

speaker issue

(19 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by satansoldier
  • Latest reply from satansoldier
  • Topic Viewed 787 times

satansoldier
satansoldier

Sound won't play through the speakers, headphones work fine(except they're failing), the speakers work, but i cant get audio to them. I tried plugging them into the headphone jack but that didnt do anything. Its just a stereo setup but my headphones arent working right anymore and I need audio. I ran windows update and the device config said the drivers are current. The audio is Realtec.
Edit: The system recognizes when i plug/unplug the speakers, displaying a notification on the toolbar. It appears to be playing sound, but the speakers aren't emitting any.
Edit2: Pluggin them into the headphone jack does work, its just really quite, i had to max the volume and turn on "loundness" to be able to tell they were playing sound, on xp i would assume it was the Wave volume too low, but i dont see any thing like that here. how can I make it louder?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

How many watts are the speakers ?

Posted 4 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

I'm not sure its just the ones that came with my old HP, their in this image

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Are they supposed to have their own power supply ?

Posted 4 years ago

mickeyblue
mickeyblue

in the realtek system panel, go to the tab SOUND EFFECTS, and check loudness equalization, this will make it louder,
also in sound and devices in control panel, select the PC speakers as the default.

Posted 4 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

@LH no they dont have an external power source or even a jack for an optional one,
@mickeyblue, Check edit2 in OP, and the speakers are default.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Have you got a resistance meter ?

Posted 4 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

I found a voltmeter in the garage, no resistance meter.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

That won't work :(

Posted 4 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

yeah, no. Like I said the speakers themselves work fine, i can plug them into my mp3 player and they play at a high volume. Headphones play at the correct volume when plugged into that port. What would i have tested with a resistance meter?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

No need to check them if they work ok with the mp3 player.
They are 2 speakers, connected up to a single 3.5mm stereo plug yes ?

Posted 4 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

Yes

Posted 4 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

Did some more experimentation, it appears i can get a better volume by plugging them into the headphone jack on the front rather than the "front speaker out" port, but its still less than I had them at on the old PC.

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Have you checked the levels?

Posted 4 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

I have and they are maxed.

Posted 4 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Have you tried uninstall / reinstall sound driver?

Posted 4 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

The audio drivers are working properly and are up to date, it just seems like the speakers aren't getting enough juice or something.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Do a comparison of the AC output levels of the mp3 player, and computer outputs.

Posted 4 years ago

satansoldier
satansoldier

Plugged into my mp3 player(Creative Zen Personal Media Player) its noticeably louder than when plugged into the computer playing the same song with all volume sliders maxed, loudness on, and VLC's volume set to 200%. While I don't have a decibel meter or anything like that, the difference is noticeable, and really the PC should be quite capable of making them louder than a relatively cheap mp3 player running on a battery...

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!