The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Sound problem

(8 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Roberto1
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 1154 times

Roberto1

I have been playing downloaded podcasts on CD`s, news videos from reuters, internet radio etc., all without difficulty but recently for the first time I have tried to play a tutorial on Learning electric.com and also for the first time a pre-recorded DVD. In both these cases I get pictures but no sound.
Could this be a hardware problem or am I possibly missing something?

I am using a Dell desktop pc (with Win xp+sp2), which is still covered by a service agreement.

Help would be appreciated.
Bob

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Sounds like a codec problem. What media player are you using, and what are the formats of the media you are trying to play?

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

I have tried the DVD on Real player and on Windows Media player, with the same result in both. The disc calls itself "DVD Video" but i`ve no idea about the format.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Download both VLC and K-Lite codec pack full (both free) from Filehippo.com and give them a try.

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

That does it nicely.
Both Real and Wmp are working well and Vlc and Media classic players are OK too.(I probably don

n
m not short of disc space so will hang onto them for now)

Thanks very much for your help --- and Happy new year!

Posted 6 years ago

Roberto1

Lines 2 & 3 of my last post should have read I probably don

n
t seem to get the "edit post" button to work.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

@Lighthouse, a few days ago I read in CHIP (a german computer mag) that there are security issues with VLC. Apparently people could slip in trojans or viruses thru VLC into your system. It's too bad because I also liked VLC. I uninstalled it after those scary news.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Thanks for that info. I've just looked at a few sites with the problems VLC. It's a superb program and I will continue using it (but with extra security)

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.