The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Sooo SLOW loading!

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Janie
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 824 times

Janie

My sister in law's computer is taking 5+ minutes (literally!) to load a webpage such as Google or her Facebook. I have cleaned the PC with CCleaner and used Malwarebytes on it, didn't help. What would you guys think might be causing it to load soooo slowly? The PC starts up OK and after Google FINALLY loads, then it'll go on to other websites you click on from Google and they don't take long. Got any ideas?

Janie

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Go into your browsers tools section and find Manage Add-ons. Then disable all add-ons except Flash and perhaps Java. See if that helps.

Which browser are you using? You could try one of the other browsers and see if they might be better/faster.

Posted 2 years ago

Tutaha

also disable some tool bars that you may have.....i have used internet explorer in school that when you look at it, half the screen has been filled with tool bars and it makes the browsing speed slow....which i think would be common with most people.

Posted 2 years ago

Janie

My sister in law took her PC to someone and he took off her GOOGLE Chrome and she said it helped. I haven't been to her house yet to see how much good it did. I thought it would be something more.

Thanks everybody!

Posted 2 years ago

volcy

What are the computer specs and how is the computer connecting to the network? Has it always been slow? Are any other computers in the house connecting slow?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Sounds like a big knife was used to cut out a smaller problem. Like cutting out the abdomen to cure appendicitis. Simply disabling the offending Add-ons within Chrome would have done the same job. But, of course that would take a lot more knowledge and technique. I would be very leery about going to that technician again.

Sort of like the old story...
Mother to son: Do you know the difference between a telephone pole and a loaf of bread?
Son to Mother: No, what is it.
Mother to Son: Well, I guess I can't send you to the store for a loaf of bread, you might bring home a telephone pole.

Posted 2 years ago

Janie

I believe you are very right about that but it's not my computer. I was just very curious what you computer wizards thought. :) I always appreciate your help and/or advice.

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

red1gem

I'm experiencing the same problem today. IE8 on XP basically won't load now unless I disable ALL add ons. Not running Chrome either....Need tips on isolating which add ons? I can't check the load times at this point......the newest date add on is Flashwave Shock Object. I can't get to zillow in a normal format anymore with the add ons disabled....driving me wacko!

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

red1gem hi. Please start your own New Topic for your question.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.