SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Sony Vaio doesn't boot, heads straight to start-up repair, then fails.

(19 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by justputitdownonme
  • Latest reply from justputitdownonme
  • Topic Viewed 17006 times

justputitdownonme
justputitdownonme

Hey guys, I work for my school's computer lab support.

A student brought in her Sony Vaio laptop when we were about to close so I didn't get much info out of it. I'm going to be working on it tomorrow and in order to save time and frustration I would love to hear you guys' suggestions and advice.

Here all I know as of now:

She claims she downloaded and installed some Windows updates then it just restarted and never be able to boot back into Windows 7 again. It, instead, goes directly to the start-up repair upon boot.

The repair runs for a while then gives up and says it can't fix the problem.

Shots in the dark. Just throw out whatever you guys think could be the problem.

Could it be boot-sector virus? Damaged MBR? etc.

Thanks.

Posted 3 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Till someone else arrives..

Before you jump in...

Basic first...everything unplugged>remove battery> leave 10 to 30 Mins(as time is of the essence LOL!)>replace battery >plug in power adaptor> switch on..

second option....try system restore

Posted 3 years ago

justputitdownonme
justputitdownonme

Hi Drizzle, what's the removing & replacing the battery got anything to do it?

Ok, so system restore -> Noted. Thanks

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

By following Kate's advice re the battery trick, it seems to reset the machine.
We have done this many times with success

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

justputitdownonme
justputitdownonme

Assume that's the solution. What'd cause such problem? And how to prevent it from happening again?

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

I would certainly put the problem down to MS updates. There are so many recently. I don't install them for a couple of weeks now and get less problems with my and client's machines.
Just install the security updates, set to 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

justputitdownonme
justputitdownonme

Oh wow, if that's indeed the fix then that's sweet. Nice insight. Thanks both.

Other possibilities, suggestions, guesses are welcome :)

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Further on the battery trick. It's because sometimes things (especially updates) can get stuck in the memory. So removing all power to the machine for a while, clears all the RAM.

Posted 3 years ago

justputitdownonme
justputitdownonme

Interesting because I thought RAM is temporary memory, it's supposed to clear once shutdown. Anyway, I'm going to work soon, will try the battery trick and let you guys know.

Thanks

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

'Interesting because I thought RAM is temporary memory'
For some time we all thought that. However, think of 'restart' as opposed to shutdown.
I stopped restarts a while ago, instead I shutdown and do the batt trick. It works, then reboot.
Restart just does not seem to 'clear' the RAM as it should do.
A shutdown then reboot seems to work.
This applies to Vista and Win 7 in all flavours by the way
Just a bit of info and hope it helps!

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

mfletch
mfletch

Will it boot into safe mode?

If yes change the graphics card to use the standard VGA graphics

If the computer now boots in normal mode the graphics card has gone

They were prone to overheating and Nevada extended there warranty

Posted 3 years ago

justputitdownonme
justputitdownonme

Ok guys the battery trick didn't work (I waited 30 mins). I got more information about why Startup repair can't fix it
@mfletch: The option to boot into safe mode is there but it'd still initiate startup repair. I tried "Last Known Good Configuration". No dice. Any idea?

I think I should try system restore then.

Posted 3 years ago

justputitdownonme
justputitdownonme

systerm restore didn't work either.

Posted 3 years ago

Drizzle
Drizzle

Hmm!!!! ok assume you cannot run any scans...how about trying this as full scan in safe mode..
http://www.superantispyware.co.....anner.html

Posted 3 years ago

G41M

Sometimes you have to let W7 run startup repair several times for it to repair corrupted or replace missing system files. You might also try memory diagnostic.

Posted 3 years ago

justputitdownonme
justputitdownonme

@Drizzle: It won't let me boot into windows, I can't run the scan. I will run some bootable av.
@G41M: I've ran memtest86 and no error.

Posted 3 years ago

justputitdownonme
justputitdownonme

GUYS guys, I got it fixed completely by luck. Ok, so for those who stumbled upon the same problem. Here's how. I basically lost hope and was about the reformat but I was fiddling in xxxxxxxx and decide to delete the MBR, rewrite a new windows 7 MBR, then i fix boot then it said something about MBR is not flag to boot and if I wanna change that and I did. When i restart, it says no operating system found. So I thought I screwed up big time as it wouldn't even boot into Startup repair like before that means I won't even be able to restore from the recovery partition. I decided that is it and reformat, I put the Windows 7 OEM disc in and was about reformat but for some reason I click "Repair" just for the heck of it and amazingly it did repaired successfully and rebooted. It said system sucessfully restored to 09/01/2011, no files were affected or something along that line.

tl;dr: delete MBR, rewrite clean MBR, fixboot, repair from OEM 7 disc = fix the problem

Thanks everyone for helping.

Edit by mod. That is illegal software, and is not to be mentioned on this forum.

Accepted Answer · Posted 3 years ago

andkobe

HI justputitdownonme,

I have the same issue and pulling out the battery did not help me.

It looks like you were able to solve the issue, but I can't understand exactly what you did to solve the issue. Would you be able to "dummy" it down a little bit so I can understand?

I am very desperate to get this issue resolved on my Sony Vaio.

Posted 3 years ago

justputitdownonme
justputitdownonme

Hello andkobe, have you tried system restore it to an earlier date? Usually this would fix the problem. In my case it did not. But try that first and see how it goes. If you're having the same problem as I did, when you boot up, startup repair will run but it will fail. Just close it and you will see "more advance repair options" or something along the line. You click on it and it will ask for your username and password. After you get in, you will see this window, choose "system restore". It will show you a list of dates in the past to restore back to, if it only shows you 2 or 3 restore points, there's an option somewhere that will show you all the restore points. Then restore to a desirable date.

If that won't work then get back to me.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.