How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Sonicstage and M4A files

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by beetle79
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 3605 times

beetle79

Hi
All my CDs have been ripped to my hard drive usig either Itunes or winamp and are in m4a /AAC format.
I occassionaly use sonicstage to update my sony mp3 player and go through the process of converting my files to mp3.

I realised that sonicstage 4.3 is meant to handle m4a so downloaded it. When I add m4a files it goes through the import process and seems to be doing just that. When it has finished,the files are not in my library and when I try the same files a second time it errors with:

"cannot find music files that are not registered to sonictage (error code 00007180) "

All my music is from CDs but not riped with sonicstage. is this the issue? Anyone know if it is really possible to import m4a files?

Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hi beetle. If you just rename the files from .m4a to .mp3, they will run as mp3's. No need for a conversion program.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@Lighthouse: M4A is MPEG-4 audio and MP3 is MPEG-3 audio. Just renaming the files can't change the format from one to the other.

Posted 5 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i used to have a nice conversion program a while back but i can't seem to remember the name of it off the top of my head but there has to be some good free wares out there though :) somewhere.....

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

This could be such freeware!

I use it all the time and you can even change the bit rate

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I looked it up on Wikipedia, and it does say that version 4 of SonicStage supports AAC format, but also says "a number of features/bugs ... are still missing". That's a poorly worded sentence because missing bugs sound like a good thing! I think it means there are missing features and others that are buggy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonicstage#Version_4

You should look for a SonicStage forum because Sony uses the proprietary ATRAC audio format and I don't know of any other company that makes Sony-compatible software.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Check this one out. They do support M4a. Also look at their home page. There are more programs listed.
http://www.effectmatrix.com/total-video-converter/

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!