SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Apple / OS X

Someone used my password and got unto Facebook and copied a private conversation

(13 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Kizmo
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 1665 times

Kizmo

Someone used my password and copied a private conversation. Is there a way to find out what computer signed onto my facebook other than mine. They did not use my computer? Is there a way to retrieve things that have been permanantly deleted? Thanks so much for any help!!

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

The answer is pretty much no and no. Since the control of the information is at Facebook you will not have access to it.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Kizmo, hi. In facebook nothing is private, it is connected to google. This is a common problem and the facebook privacy is appalling. It is part of the Google network as well.
I would, as an immediate resolve, delete your facebook profile.
Never use it again.

You need to contact facebook with your problem immediately

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Kizmo

Mike,
Isn't it illegal to use someones username and password to get private conversations? This was something that was a private convo that you would have tologin in under my user and password to view?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Nothing on Facebook is private. If you think it is you are fooling yourself.

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

Everything on facebook is private, AS LONG AS:
- you kept it private
- someone didn't get your password

You can check what other sessions of your account are running by going into Account Settings> Security> Active Sessions
End the session which doesn't sound fine. And turn on Login approvals.

Posted 2 years ago

Santo
Santo

If you suspect that your FB account is compromised, change the password immediately and do not select the option to save it in the browser.

Edit: FB saves the chat conversation. Check this FB FAQ which has steps to access the chat history and remove it.

Posted 2 years ago

hatryst
hatryst

AFAIK, fb saves chat history as 'messages'. There was a time it didn't, now it does. But there's an option to clear that history.

Posted 2 years ago

Kizmo

It was a private discussion. Someone used my password without authorization. Is there a way to find out what computer was used to access this info. This happened 1 week ago.

Posted 2 years ago

Santo
Santo

The best option will be to contact FB support. You may also look at this FAQ.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Every time I sign into FB from a different computer I get a screen that asks for my computer name? FB then sends me e-mail (to the registered e-mail address) that info. Now someone can use ANY name for the computer it wants, so that may not help, but you would KNOW that another computer connected.

This is a typical message I get :

========================
Hi Irv Spalten,

A new device named "XPS-435" logged into your Facebook account (Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 4:10pm) from Clermont, FL, US (IP=xx.xxx.xxx.xx). (Note: This location is based on information from your ISP or wireless provider.)

This device has been added to your account.

Was this you? If so, you can disregard the rest of this email.

If this wasn't you, please follow the link below to protect your Facebook account information:
https:// <== specific URL is here to a protection link....

To learn how login notifications like this one can help you to protect your account information, visit the Help Center: http://www.facebook.com/help/?.....fications.
Please note: Facebook will never request your login information through email.

Thanks,
The Facebook Team
================

If you DID NOT get one of these, then I'd assume someone used YOUR computer. Otherwise I'd think you're supposition is wrong. Whomever you had that private discussion with 'leaked' it to someone else.

I could be wrong though... it could have been the other person whom you had the conversation with that was compromised?

Irv S.

Edit by MOD: IP Address removed.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

How did someone get your password? If you gave it to them then they had permission. If it was guessable then your account is not secure nor private. If you do not securely hold your passwords from others it is not secure. Unless one uses encryption one can NEVER assume anything you place on the internet is secure.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Mod, which ever you were, not my IP Address. That was changed before and is no longer 'me'. I didn't bother changing it.. figured it would work for the 'sample'. I guess I broke the rules, sorry.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!