How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

(Solved) - Someone get infected?

(28 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by ispalten
  • Latest reply from Scott
  • Topic Viewed 4647 times

ispalten
ispalten

Hey, I've opened up ONLY HTG, and I get a ScoreCard Research survey pop-up???

Clicked on 'Why am I getting this survey' and see this :

===================
Why did I receive this invitation?

You are receiving this survey invitation because you are visiting a web site that participates in a research effort aimed at helping companies better understand the likes and dislikes of consumers on the Internet. To learn more about this research, please click here.

These surveys are intended to ask questions about you and your Internet usage, but will never ask for any personally identifiable information. You can opt-out from receiving these surveys at any time by clicking here.
===================

URL is http://www.scorecardresearch.c.....language=1

What goes? It appears it is IN this web site using it as a cookie?

Links :

Link about it.
More
Privacy Policy
ABOUT
How to block it in Firefox????

Get rid of it please!

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I don't see anything...looked with Chrome and IE9 with pop up blockers off. Chrome blocks popups by default but there is no indication, via icon if there is, that it is blocking anything.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Irv I got that too. Ran scans after and nothing found. edit: are you getting the landing spaceship?

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I never saw this before, Ever!!! I hope I'm not infected? I used the 'free' GAOTHD Glary today, hope that didn't cause this either? Put the HOSTS block in, I didn't get it this time when I open FF here...

Norton's been having 'update' fits for the last few days... either the definitions or activity map isn't updating randomly. Not just me, my wife's machine and Norton forum has LARGE thread on this... 17 pages long and counting!

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Might have to ask the Geek. Just after I sent this had an overlay on my page.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

This is the one I've been getting every hour or so, and only on H2G and on several different computers. Scans are clear. Notice the H2G page in the background and the H2G tab in the upper left. It is not the H2G page I was on at the time. Clicking the X takes me back to the page I was on with no problem. Has only happened on this site. But over the last week or so it happens 3-5 times a day. I have not followed any links associated with it and it has not seemingly effected anything else on the computer.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Me too. Thats why I said maybe it is an ad from the Geek.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Warlock,

"are you getting the landing spaceship?" Huh? I just get the pop-up to start the survey.

Looks like it is from COMSCORE and is something that a web site puts on their page...

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Some one should check with the 'geek' here. Xhi, you want to step up to that or should I bother some of my 'contacts' here?

Posted 2 years ago

Scott
Scott

I do believe it's served, not an infection.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Yes I am started last week. As soon as it came up ran scans and nothing came up. Thats why I think it maybe a paid Geek ad. And, the Geek should know.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I sent e-mail...

I find it very annoying, mostly how I work, which is open a lot of threads in tabs... and I had 3 of these surveys showing.

I don't know how long this has been around, but I didn't see any warning about it either?

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

That pic was taken on Jan 18th and was happening before that so it had nothing to do with Giveaway of the day.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Scott, I was worried and I just ran Glary and let it take out a LOT of Registry entries (the Free GAOTD version for today). I'm expecting some problems due to the sheer number of entries it removed... a program I am beta testing released and update today and I got a STRANGE set of install messages... it was a problem in the install I found out recently... and then this... Color me paranoid at this point.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Bedtime for me have to get up at 6:00. I still think the Geek either knows or he should be told about what is on his site.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

I was worried too Irv but, It has been awhile and no problem here.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I run NO Active AV or Filtering Software and don't get nothing at no time plus search in many foreboding places daily.

Explain that ?! (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Only the Phantom knows... ; )

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

I think the Geek knows. Or, should be told.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

@Irv, I have no direct contact with The Geek. I just sent him an email. Just a Guest you know. If you have contacts use them.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

The topic has been answered by a Moderator above.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!