someone else is using my ip

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by s1m0nw
  • Latest reply from ProstheticHead
  • Topic Viewed 1488 times

s1m0nw

Hi there

Hope you guys can help me swiftly

Am with virginmedia for bb got superhub.

I was a member of vbulletin forum and admin on there told me someone wad making multiple accounts using my ip address!!

How is this even possible? The culprit involved i have never recieved any form of comms from him for him to be allowed onto my computer.

Been on phone to virgin tryin to get ip changed bit there useless.

Its wan ip thats being used. Now i dont have a great knowledge on how to go about the firewall i have online armor firewall, increased the firewall level on superhub to max and latest anti virus.

How do i stop this person from using my ip address?
How can this person be using my ip address away from my household?

Any help would be great

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Sounds like you have an UNPROTECTED Wireless setup. Go to your ROUTER settings and set WPA2 as the protection, give it a P/W and use that to sign-in to the router when you connect. Should stop the problem.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

BobJam
BobJam

@s1m0nw,

I concur with ispalten's evaluation. Can you please respond and confirm whether or not that was the problem?

Curious . . .

Posted 1 year ago

s1m0nw

Router always been passworded. Same goes for anything internet related

Posted 1 year ago

BobJam
BobJam

If your connection is wireless, as opposed to ethernet cable, what is the strength of your password? Is it WEP or WPA? What flavor of WPA (encryption e.g.)? Do you use that password anywhere else? If wireless, other users can use your connection unless you have it securely locked.

Confused a little . . . what do you mean by "Internet related"?

When you say your router is "passworded", are you talking about the typical password to get into the router management console, or are you talking about your ISP password?

Do you cut and paste your passwords from a password manager, or do you use the keyboard and type it in? Using the keyboard exposes you to keylogger malware.

Call your ISP and change your ISP password. (Unless they know about the change, your connection will be refused, so tell them BEFORE you make the change.)

Have you run an on-demand scan of your antivirus program? (Are definitions up to date?)

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Routers are ALWAYS P/W'ed... that is to get to its set-up screen. Both BobJam and I are talking about the CONNECTION between the computers and router. Two different things. A computer when it boots will connect to the router to get an IP Address. That RADIO SIGNAL that the router sends out is what has to be P/W protected. Using WPA2 for the encryption of the signal and a P/W for it is the best to use.

Let's do this another way then. First, TELL us what router you have, make and model.

Also, there IS a LOG of connection and a 'user' list on almost ALL routers. Check that too... once we know the router make and model we can direct you how to see it.

Also, to use your router, the person MUST be close, within probably no more than 200 feet depending on router and walls in the way. Do you live in a dorm or apartment? Single family house?

Irv S.

EDIT: Oh, you can ALSO restrict machines that connect by using the MAC Address as well and reject ANY not on the list in some Routers.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Changed the router password (for sign on to the firmware) and security passphrase (for access to the router) lately??

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Could it be your Internet Service Provider uses dynamic IP allocation?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.