The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

solution for McAfee showing blank screen

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by misdaroc
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 12773 times

misdaroc

When i open McAfee it would show a blank screen. after chatting to McAfee they said it was because i upgraded to IE 8 and to unistall IE 8 so it would go back to the previous version.so i did and it worked. Now i can see if i'm protected or not.i wanted to post this in case somebody else has or gets the same problem.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Looks like McAfee did not do their homework. They should support more than one Browser/Version. Thanks for pointing it out to the HTG community.
PS: Did you ever try to set another browser (e.g. Firefox or Opera) as your default browser?

Posted 6 years ago

misdaroc

firefox was set as my default browser(at least i thought it was) but i still had this problem.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

> Looks like McAfee did not do their homework.
Well to be fair IE8 is in beta at the moment so I wouldn't blame McAfee for not supporting it.

Also the reason for this problem is that McAfee like Norton use Internet Explorer's rendering engine to display their User Interface so the changes in IE8 break that.
One could blame them though for using Internet Explorer instead of one of many other normal ways for a UI.

Posted 6 years ago

eliezerben

I also had the same problem with mcafee, but the problem was solved by installing internet explorer 8

Posted 4 years ago

zs474

post is 2 years ago....

Posted 4 years ago

vistamike

Topic now closed

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.