How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Solid State drives and Windows 8 auto-maintenance

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Fhirkin9
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 3690 times

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

It is my understanding that SSDs should not be defragmented, and Windows 8 (Release Preview) by default wants to "maintain" the drive and auto-defrag it on a schedule. I disabled this feature for now. Am I just being paranoid, or is it true that a SSD should never be defragged?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

First of all there is no need to defragment an SSD. All parts of the drive are equally accessible unlike mechanical drives.

Second, the major wear factor on SSDs is the number of writes to it.

So turn off any automatic defragmentation on the SSD.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

SSD do not require defragging in fact could cause quite a few problems if you did.
The access time is almost instant, no spin up so leaves the drive to do its own thing

Like Win 7, 8 will autodefrag in the background and needs no further user control.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

W7 will NOT try to defrag an SSD, and I'd assume W8 is the same. It is done via a SCHEDULED TASK, so check that task, you'll probably see the drive letters that on an SSD will not be on the schedule.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

You did the right thing. Absolutely no need to strain a SSD with a defrag operstion.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Concerning Windows 7 and NOT Windows 8.

There are many of the Scheduled Tasks which are obsolete and not needed any longer as Win7 has been RTM so long.

A lot of them just gathered and sent information back to MS during the testing phase of Win7.

Guess I should make a list and post it.

Posted 1 year ago

Fhirkin9
Fhirkin9

It is weird, I disabled it 2 weeks ago, so before that it was automatically defragging the drives! If you right click on an SSD in explorer and hit tools, then go to optimization, all drives are listed, and next to my primary SSD it says last optimized 13 days ago. So it appears as if, at least in Win8 RP, you need to manually disable auto-optimize in whatever way you can. I would think there would be a way for MS to detect and disable such behavior for SSDs. Trying to plod through the Scheduled Tasks section was a mess.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!