SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

So.. What line of work is everybody in?

(50 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 3706 times

thegeek
The Geek
Posts: 2059

I'm curious if the forum regulars are in a computer related field or something else... I do realize that a number of our favorite members are retired, but I'm curious what you did before.

Did anybody work at a Twinkie factory?

Posted 6 years ago
Top
 
jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r
Posts: 2815

well i am currently working in video editing/ video production and i am also in the skateboarding industry.

Posted 6 years ago
Top
 
whs
whs
Posts: 17584

Twinkie factory sounds tempting - but may be fattening. I worked in large systems software for 35 years - but that was a long time ago.

Posted 6 years ago
Top
 
Scott
Scott
Posts: 5618

As some of you know, I was a Wall St. market maker for 17 years straight out of college. Now I day trade from our home in Vermont and mod these forums for one of my dearest friends.

Posted 6 years ago
Top
 
thegeek
The Geek
Posts: 2059

I totally forgot to put my details in the thread...

I'm a programmer working mostly with .net/microsoft technologies doing ecommerce programming, both business to business electronic backoffice integrations as well as working on the front-end for our storefront application. I've been a programmer for about 9 years, and was in the network/security/IT world for 4 years before that.

Posted 6 years ago
Top
 
jd2066
jd2066
Posts: 3814

I don't really have a line of work. I just usually sit on the computer all day.
Though sometimes like today I go out and fix problems for people around town.
I am also Cisco A+ Certified.
So I could say I'm a certified professional who works in IT. Though not exactly the case.

Posted 6 years ago
Top
 
Lighthouse
Lighthouse
Posts: 13598

Twinkie ?

twinkie Definition

☆ twinkie (twiŋ′kē)

noun

Slang a person or thing that seems appealing or attractive but has little value or worth

Posted 6 years ago
Top
 
sparky7415
sparky7415
Posts: 419

I've been doing electrical work going on 30 years,have an electricians license with a few states. I work on commercial/industrial 99% of the time,the other 1% having a cold beer.My recent favorite job was the new stadium for the Denver Broncos in Denver,Colorado,what a wild fun loving crew. The best part was meeting a few of the cheerleaders,WOOHOO,and John Elway the quarterback,now in the football hall of fame.

P.S. I like Twinkies

Posted 6 years ago
Top
 
Budohorseman
Budohorseman
Posts: 847

I'm just an analyst, so I spend most of my time whipping up databases and spreadsheets, which is rather odd when you consider that my degree is in molecular biology....damn, I knew I should have taken at least one computer course when I was in school.

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r
Posts: 2815

@budohorseman how did you end up in such a different field than what you degree is?

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
Budohorseman
Budohorseman
Posts: 847

It's the same old story, go through a divorce while in grad school, need to get a job quick, finding out that being able to whip up a spreadsheet or database pays better than working in a lab and that your hobby actually pays better than what you went to school for, the rest is history.

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
Lighthouse
Lighthouse
Posts: 13598

Start a sideline in Biometric chips (with 100% real bio)

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
thegeek
The Geek
Posts: 2059

Lighthouse wants to be a cyborg.

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
Lighthouse
Lighthouse
Posts: 13598

Yeah.. I'll give it a go.
Want a guinea pig Budohorseman?

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
thegeek
The Geek
Posts: 2059

A cyborg guinea pig? Why not a cyborg hamster then? Or maybe a fox... that would be cool.

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
Budohorseman
Budohorseman
Posts: 847

Ya know, I've never had a guinea pig, but with the pot bellied pig I think my house already has hit its pig quota. http://picasaweb.google.com/bu.....6308749554

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
thegeek
The Geek
Posts: 2059

That's perfect... a pot belly cyborg pig.

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
Lighthouse
Lighthouse
Posts: 13598

Cos I'm not a hamster (hamsters work my timer), or a fox.
Is the phrase "guinea pig" not used in the states?

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
thegeek
The Geek
Posts: 2059

That phrase is used here, yes. Was just being silly and taking your comment out of context. =)

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 
Budohorseman
Budohorseman
Posts: 847

Actually, it is, but we usually deep fry them and serve them on a stick...

Posted 5 years ago
Top
 



Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!