How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

So many processes on Vista!

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Trinity59
  • Latest reply from JonMCC33
  • Topic Viewed 4023 times

Trinity59

Hi Guys!
I'm just getting to know my new Notebook (Dell XPS M1530) and as I opened the Taskmanager I was pretty surprised to see 68 processes running, 12 of them are scvhost! I had 5 scvhosts with XP. Is this because I have dual core?
Also, where can I get a list/explanation of all these processes that are running here? I'm sure I don't need all of them.

Thx!
Trinity59

Posted 6 years ago

JonMCC33

SVCHOST.EXE is a process that many services execute off of. You can view what Windows services you have enabled by right clicking on Computer and selecting "Manage" then go to "Services and Applications" to view the Services. Some are important to the functionality of Windows Vista. I wouldn't really mess with anything that is enabled by default as you could do more harm than good and it doesn't really boost performance by disabling a lot of them.

You can easily Google the name of any process and get quick results on what that process is.

I advise using this utility from Sysinternals as well. Very helpful for all current running processes: http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....96653.aspx

Posted 6 years ago

Trinity59

Thank you JonMCC33, for your answer.
Vista was pre-installed when I got the laptop and I guess there is a lot of "unnecessary" stuff on there as well. Maybe I'll re-install Vista and just use what I really need and not all this stuff that is running in the background...like the scheduler processes that I really don't need.

Thx again!

Posted 6 years ago

satansoldier

Like JonMCC33 said, you can disable some of that stuff. Re-installing isn't really necessary. Every once in awhile, I spend an hour or two Googling processes and services to so that i can safely disable the unnecessary ones and keep my machine running at top speed. You can also uninstall the bloatware and what not from you machine with add/remove programs in control panel.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

If you must delete services, my suggestion is to do so one by one.
The venerable primer by BlackViper would be found here,
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

The Geek has a Wiki page devoted to processes here,
http://www.howtogeek.com/wiki/....._Processes

Posted 6 years ago

JonMCC33

@Trinity59
Yeah, Dell comes with a lot of gunk by default. The installed Google apps are crazy. A reformat with the Vista install CD would do you well.

I wouldn't stop the scheduler at all. Many stuff run off of it and you don't get any boost in performance by disabling it.

That Sysinternals tool works wonders for all running processes. Try it out!

If you are going to disable anything, use MSCONFIG and look at the Startup tab. Lots of applications stick themselves in there and don't need to be (Adobe, Google, Java, etc).

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

AGREE WITH (JonMCC33) concerning any machine.
As most regulars know, I run Lean clean (Fully Loaded) Network Machines.
(MSConfig File) Start-up Varies From 2-4 Items Depending on Circumstances.
Kindest Regards,
Rick P.♦:)

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Much of this has been covered already:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....t-running/

Note the part about Microsoft moving more function to DLLs which require svchost.exe to load them. As a result, Vista does use more svchost.exe processes than XP does. These processes are not a problem unless they are using too much CPU time.

Posted 6 years ago

Trinity59

Thanks guys for the answers. Learning as I'm reading. I'll follow the links and get this thing running as I want it. I got rid of the google sh** as soon as I noticed it! (Which was about on the first start..ha ah!) But I don't need jushed etc.. and certainly not on startup...
I'll let you all know how far I get. I'd like to set her (yes, I'm female and my laptop is, too..) to multi boot my XP, Vista AND Ubuntu but from what I have read here that is not as easy as when I did DOS and 'W95 *rofl*

Trin

Posted 6 years ago

JonMCC33

Just run Vista as your only OS. Put Windows XP and Ubuntu in a VM with Virtualbox.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.