How-To Geek Forums / Tutorials

Tutorial: Snipping Tool handling

(16 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by whs
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 5710 times

whs
whs

Some of you are probably asking why I am posting that. But I noticed, that sometimes when we ask an OP to post a snip, they are not aware of how to use the Snipping Tool. With this little tutorial on file, we can just link this and togther with the tutorials on how to use Photobucket or ImageShack, we have some easy guidance tools.
I had made this a long time ago for someone else as a Word file and I just had to pretty it up a bit.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

whs, another very useful tutorial. You might want to mention that if the Snipping Tool does not show up in the Start Menu, it can be installed in Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows Features On or Off -> Tablet PC Optional Components.

We have had a number of users who could not find the Snipping Tool in their Start Menu because it was not setup by the system maker. Typically these were laptops where I suspect the manufacturer was trying to save space by not installing optional components.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

ScottW, I guess we'll have to go with you mentioning it. As usual I cannot edit the post any more - that would have made some nice pictures. They really keep a tight lock on the inmates.

Posted 5 years ago

jal
jal

Does Snipping Tool only work with Vista or will it work with XP

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

That is a Vista function as far as I know. But I am not 100% sure as I have never used XP.

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw
milnerw

I don't believe it is built into XP

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

jal, for XP, I recommend you download the free Faststone Capture. That is a real nice snipping tool that I actually use most of the time. It allows you to make the annotations and arrows (and a lot more) that you see in the above tutorial.

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw
milnerw

I use Jing for all of my screenshots
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=1

Posted 5 years ago

ian2
ian2

whs: Just wondering ,what did you use before Vista???? and what made you start using Vista

milnerw: same with me I I've been using Jing for several months now..I kinda like it

Posted 5 years ago

milnerw
milnerw

I've been using Jing since the Geek did his write up on it.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Only in Vista Home Premium or better (ie: Business or Ultimate)

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Ian, before Vista I used large (very large) IBM systems with a terminal. I was on the internal IBM network then. And after retirement, I used nothing for over 12 years - could not see computers any more - they were my job for 35 years.

Posted 5 years ago

ian2
ian2

whs: I find that very interesting ,I'll guess you retired around 94/95 ....Not using a computer for a dozen years ,did you find the change in the home computing ability impressive or did we the home user just catch up to what you were used to....
Myself I played around on my mothers work computer in the early eighties but found it to be frustratingly slow and annoying.I much preferred books and building things whether they be mechanical or structural... I did not start back with computing until 2003.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Well, the PC world is very different to the large system world. The PC has to cater for the non-professional whilst you absolutely need professionals to run large systems. They are not as foregiving as Vista. You better know exactly what you are doing. But even in large systems I had been out of hands-on since the early 70's because they wanted me in management. And that was mostly process related at the lower mgmt. levels and business related once I got a little higher. I can still tell you everything about Terms and Conditions and pricing and customer relations and stuff like that, but for writing a real program, I would have to struggle. I only know the old languages anyhow (Cobol, Fortran, Algol) and mostly Assembler. I guess the world has changed and old irons like me have trouble to keep up.

Posted 5 years ago

charlieg68
charlieg68

seems easy enough whs! lets see if i can do it in my other post.

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I an sure you can do it.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.