The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Snakebit on MS Updates . . .

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by BobJam
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 687 times

BobJam

Ever since the infamous KB951748 vs. Zone Alarm conflict, I've been looking for a site that reports bugs in these updates BEFORE I install them. I have my automatic updates set to notify but not install for just this reason.

In the past, I've browsed around discussion boards randomly looking for bug reports, but now I'd like to find sort of a "clearinghouse" for these things.

I've thought about looking at some MS Newsgroups for this kind of info, but that's like having the "fox guard the chickens". I'm not suggesting that the MS 500 pound gorilla is less than honest, but I just don't think MS would be a good clearinghouse for this sort of stuff.

So is there someplace I can go to find the info I want in one place (timely, of course) that is sort of a clearinghouse for MS Update bugs that reports them within 24 hours?? ('Cause I don't want to wait too long before I install the updates . . . don't want to be one of those "Zero day" exploit victims).

TIA

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Hi, Bob! By your subject, I thought you were going to say that the latest round of recommended updates bit you already. I have 10 for XP SP3, 12 for Vista, and 4 for Office/Works waiting to be installed. Like you, I have it set to notify but not install. I like to wait a few days so I can read through them (yes, I read them all) and see if any make the industry news as flawed or buggy.

These exploits are found or reported to Microsoft long before they get patched, sometimes over a year! So, "Zero Day" is not today, but way back when they were discovered or perhaps it only counts when they are exploited. Anyway, I would also like to find a place that reviews them and allows user to post stories of problem patches. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone knows of such a place.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.