How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

(Solved) - Smileys

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by StringJunky
  • Latest reply from SarahJames
  • Topic Viewed 737 times

StringJunky
StringJunky

Can we have some smileys (and not so smiley) to select from to add to our posts?

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure, here's a few:

Smily: :)
Not-So-Smiley: :(
Frisky: ;)
Teared up: :~(
Shocked: 80
Dunce: <:|

LOL.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Sorry, but it's forumpolicy not to have those extra's.
I'm someone who likes smileys etc myself, but I love the way these forums are - nice and clean.
If you want smileys you can upload some yourself to photobucket or some site like that and add them like you would any picture.
But only in offtopic.
We like to keep the main forums clean ;)

Edit: Enthusiast - we posted at the same time ;)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Tony, if you want anything other than what you see, you are in the wrong place. What you can do is upload a few to Photobucket or ImageSchack and link the IMGs. Like this:

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Ah-Ha the old "What you see is what you get trick". -- Maxwell Smart.

Smiley's will get you in trouble if you are not careful. Many sites that push them are also pushers of malware.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Most people use them in symbolic keybord mode so I thought a few that fitted the aesthetic of the forum would be nice. Smileys can be an important way of removing misinterpretation or ambiguity in a post.

Xhi, that's all the more reason to have them available here.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Smileys can be an important way of removing misinterpretation or ambiguity in a post.
Or a really neat way of hiding your true intentions.

If you haven't guessed I think smileys are stupid. ;)

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

I used to think that, but they are an accepted and integral part of most forum culture now and that includes science forums moderated by scientists and frequented by clever people...they have no problems with it and clearly don't think it's stupid. In fact many a conversation has gone sour because a person didn't give a clue to their true intent via some symbolic means.

Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Like Xhi says: smileys often come from sites that push a lot of malware around. I've seen enough people willing to compromise their system and the safety of their personal files and data just for a few emoticons. I think a site like HTG that promotes safety first should also set an example. Like I said: I dó like emoticons (contrary to Xhi ;D), but there's a time and place for them and HTG isn't that place (apart from the odd one in offtopic).

Edit: Tony, we posted at the same time :)
And we are not without symbolic signs - as you can see, my posts are generally full of them! :D

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Yes they do indeed Sarah, I had fun mastering Funmoods, but I'm not on about members importing smileys: I'm on about HTG having its own generic set.

The answer's quite clear so I don't see any point continuing this thread.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

I understand what you mean, but the answer is still the same.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.