The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Slow Network Speeds Help!!!!

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by blue8817
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 1764 times

blue8817

I have four computer setup on my network running a mix of xp pro and vista and i'm currently using a dlink dir 635 N wirless router and i'm getting very slow network speeds of around 500kb/s upto at best 1.3mb/s both wireless and wired. The internet speeds speeds are fine around 15mb/s I worked out the proble must be with the router since i tried a Belkin N1 Wireless Modem Router with out an internet connection (I can't use this router with my isp) and i was getting speeds of around 5mb/s wirless and 10mb/s wired. I even went out and bought a new router a netgear wireless N router and i'm still getting the same problems...

I'm slowly pulling my hair out here been trying for the last week to get this to work so i hope someone out the can help thanks..

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Are your systems all geared to "N" and are not by chance taking a default a,b, or g?

Posted 6 years ago

blue8817

default g but even then i thought i should be getting faster than 500kb/s And even when i plug wires in I still only get the 500kb/s speeds

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Are you using cable that can handle N?

Posted 6 years ago

blue8817

cat 5

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

5e or preferably 6

Posted 6 years ago

blue8817

but even with cat 5 shouldn't i be getting better speed than 5oobk/s ??? i do if i use the belkin router

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Did you measure the line speed. You said above that you get up to 1.3Mb. That would be pretty normal for a slow DSL. 500Kb only when the lines are very busy. But a line test will give you more info. Try the last one in this link http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest That should work in Sweden.
Here is what I got. The left one is with DSL2000. The right one is with DSL 6000.

Posted 6 years ago

blue8817

yes but thats internet speeds not file transfer speeds which i'm on about

Posted 6 years ago

blue8817

anyone else any ideas plz

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

what are you using to clock the transfer speeds?

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.